This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9282 / 52°55'41"N
Longitude: -3.0621 / 3°3'43"W
OS Eastings: 328696
OS Northings: 337277
OS Grid: SJ286372
Mapcode National: GBR 73.MDPV
Mapcode Global: WH78C.YN0K
Entry Name: Chirk Aqueduct (continued into England)
Listing Date: 4 January 1966
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 618
Building Class: Transport
Location: The aqueduct straddles the Ceiriog Valley, approximately 55m SW of the parish church, and can be reached by a footpath from Castle Road. The aqueduct passes into England (Weston Rhyn) at its S end.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Designed by Thomas Telford in 1796 for the Ellesmere Canal Company, to carry the the Llangollen Branch canal over the valley of the Afon Ceiriog. The foundation stone was laid by Richard Myddleton of Chirk Castle in June 1797. Six arches only are shown by Sir Richard Colt Hoare in his watercolour of c1799. The canal was extended at the suggestion of William Jessop to obtain headwater from the river Dee at Llantysilio-yn-ial. The iron for constructing the aqueduct channel was provided by William Hazeldine of Shrewsbury at the Plas Kynaston foundry, the masonry provided by James Varley of Colne, and the total cost was £21,000.
Brick piers faced with stone ashlar, carry 10 arches of 12.2m (40ft) span for the tank set at 20m (68ft) above the valley for a length of 216.5m (710ft). The water tank c3m wide, is carried on flanged and bolted cast iron plates on the bottom, with ashlar stonework and brick sides laid in Parker's Cement. In c1870 additional cast iron side plates 1.25m long and 23mm thick were inserted. The tow path is on the E side, and bordered by cast iron railings set on the wide coping.
Included at II* as one of the outstanding industrial monuments associated with canal transport in Britain. Of group value with Chirk Tunnel, and with the adjacent Chirk Railway Viaduct.
Other nearby listed buildings