This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9733 / 52°58'24"N
Longitude: -3.0864 / 3°5'11"W
OS Eastings: 327141
OS Northings: 342328
OS Grid: SJ271423
Mapcode National: GBR 72.JLSW
Mapcode Global: WH785.KJHF
Entry Name: Telford Inn
Listing Date: 24 November 1983
Last Amended: 11 June 1998
Source ID: 1306
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at the junction of Station Road and New Road, set back from, and at right angles to the Ellesmere Canal.
Community: Llangollen Rural (Llangollen Wledig)
Community: Llangollen Rural
Built-Up Area: Trevor
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Late C18 house. Thought to have been built by the Ellesmere Canal Company as a residence for Telford's supervising engineer for the construction of the canal (renamed Llangollen Canal in 1963) and in particular the nearby Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (1795-1805). Formerly known as Scotch Hall. Shown on 1838 Tithe Map as Scotch Hall, Garden and Offices occupied by William Jones.
Two storey, three bay house, rendered with stone quoins. Hipped slate roof of lowish pitch and with overhanging eaves and pair of rendered chimneys at ridge. Tall 12-pane sash windows with stone surrounds. Centre gabled entrance porch with panelled door and overlight. Nearly full width rear extension with catslide slate roof added late C19 or early C20.
Ground floor retains layout of central hall (with later stairs) and roughly square rooms with simple interiors (and later fireplaces) on either side.
Listed as a good turn-of-C18 house in late Georgian style and for its group value with other items on the Llangollen Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings