History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge No 31

A Grade II Listed Building in Trevor, Wrexham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9723 / 52°58'20"N

Longitude: -3.0876 / 3°5'15"W

OS Eastings: 327058

OS Northings: 342215

OS Grid: SJ270422

Mapcode National: GBR 72.JSJT

Mapcode Global: WH785.JKX6

Entry Name: Bridge No 31

Listing Date: 11 June 1998

Last Amended: 11 June 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19969

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated at a point where the Llangollen feeder branches off from the Ellesmere Canal (renamed Llangollen Canal, 1963) near centre of village.

County: Wrexham

Town: Llangollen

Community: Llangollen Rural (Llangollen Wledig)

Community: Llangollen Rural

Locality: Trevor

Built-Up Area: Trevor

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Wynnstay

History

Canal bridge of c1804-08 carrying road over Llangollen feeder. An Act to construct the Ellesmere Canal, linking the Dee, Mersey and Severn Rivers, was passed in 1793. When, however, it was decided in 1801 not to continue the canal beyond Pontcysyllte a 9.656km long feeder canal (taking water from the Dee at the Horseshoe Falls) was proposed in order to supply water to the main canal. The feeder canal was constructed under the direction of William Jessop (engineer) and Thomas Telford (general agent); work was begun in 1804 and completed in 1808. In addition the canal provided transport to the slate quarries and limestone works. In 1846 it became part of the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company, but the following year was taken over by the London & North Western Railway. Transport on the canal diminished in later C19 with arrival of the railways and ceased by World War II. The canal was only kept open because of its importance as a supplier of water and has now became a major tourist asset.

Exterior

Cambered wrought iron girders support ashlared stone voussoirs to form flattened arch carrying ashlared parapets with stone sills and capping. Parapet wings curve downwards and outwards on both sides, terminating in piers with pyramidical caps. Abutments in rubble sandstone with ashlared quoins. Rubble walls (probably later) continue beyond at both ends on E side.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a distinctive feature of canal engineering and for its group value with other listed items on the Llangollen Canal.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.