This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9732 / 52°58'23"N
Longitude: -3.0859 / 3°5'9"W
OS Eastings: 327176
OS Northings: 342317
OS Grid: SJ271423
Mapcode National: GBR 72.JLX6
Mapcode Global: WH785.KJRH
Entry Name: Bridge next to Telford Inn
Listing Date: 11 June 1998
Last Amended: 11 June 1998
Source ID: 19966
Building Class: Transport
Location: Situated near the terminus of the Ellesmere Canal (renamed Llangollen Canal, 1963) where it bifurcates into two dock areas.
Community: Llangollen Rural (Llangollen Wledig)
Community: Llangollen Rural
Built-Up Area: Trevor
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Multi-arched canal bridge of c1795-1801 carrying New Road over canal. An Act to construct the Ellesmere Canal, linking the Dee, Mersey and Severn Rivers, was passed in 1793. In 1801, during construction, it was decided not to continue the canal northwards to Wrexham. Instead a 9.656km long feeder canal was constructed in 1804-08 to supply water to the main canal, which it joined just below the bridge, and twin docks were built at Pontcysyllte to provide wharfage. The docks became the terminus of the main canal. The bridge was built in three adjoining sections, the central arch being the original bridge over the canal. The E arch was added later to bridge access to E wharfs. A gateway in the parapet W of the central arch which led to steps down to the House next to Telford Inn appears to have been destroyed during construction of W arch to provide access to W wharfs. In 1846 the canal became part of the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company, but in the following year was taken over by the London & North Western Railway. Transport on the canal diminished in later C19 with arrival of the railways and ceased by World War II. The canal was only kept open because of its importance as a supplier of water and has now become a major tourist asset.
Seven cambered wrought-iron girders support ashlared-stone voussoirs of central bridge to form flattened arch carrying ashlared-stone parapets with sloping sills and capping. Parapet walls terminate in piers with pyramidal caps; twin piers with wrought-iron trellised arch on SW side to former gateway. Ashlared stone voussoirs to arch of E bridge with roughly coursed and snecked rubble stone parapet, ashlared-stone sills, capping and terminating piers. Double row of brick voussoirs to near semi-circular arch of W bridge with roughly coursed and snecked rubble stone parapets with ashlared-stone capping. Abutments to each bridge in rubble stone with ashlared quoins.
Listed as a distinctive feature of canal engineering and for its group value with other listed items on the Llangollen Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings