History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberduna Engine House

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanferres, Denbighshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1476 / 53°8'51"N

Longitude: -3.1888 / 3°11'19"W

OS Eastings: 320585

OS Northings: 361827

OS Grid: SJ205618

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.5RX5

Mapcode Global: WH77B.Z4NS

Plus Code: 9C5R4RX6+3F

Entry Name: Aberduna Engine House

Listing Date: 20 September 1990

Last Amended: 16 October 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1342

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Situated in the edge of woodland NE of Aberduna Quarry. Reached by a footpath running W from the by road between Maeshafn and Gwernymynydd.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Llanferres

Community: Llanferres

Locality: Aberduna

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llanferres

History

Built pre-1870 to house a pumping engine for the local lead mines.

Exterior

Roofless rubble walls, 3-storey Cornish engine house. Large squared quoins to slightly battered corners. Some brick dressings; pitched gables without cappings. Large openings on 3 levels to NW gable, all with timber lintels. Smaller openings with timber lintels and sills high up on side walls. Large ground level openings, partially blocked, in SE gable, small camber-headed blocked doorway to SW wall.

Interior

Not fully accessible, contains decaying timber joists and beam seatings.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good surviving example of an engine house and for associations with the local lead mining industry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ty'n y Fedw
    In the grounds of Colomendy Hall, on the edge of woodland approx 0.5km SSW of the hall, and S of Glan Alyn. The house is set in a stone-walled enclosure, bounded by the remains of its farm-buildings
  • II Colomendy Hall
    Situated 0.3 km SE of the Loggerheads Inn PH, reached from a drive which runs S off the A494 beside the Three Loggerheads PH.
  • II Hay Barn at Colomendy Hall
    Situated to the N of Colomendy Hall immediately N of the farmyard reached from a drive which runs S off the A494 beside the Three Loggerheads PH.
  • II Telephone Call-box to N of Miner's Arms PH
    On small green area to N of Miner's Arms PH
  • II Pentre Mill (including Sluice and Cast Iron Flume to rear)
    Situated in the Loggerheads Country Park 0.2 km N of the Loggerheads PH, reached from a drive running N from the A494 at its junction with the by road to Cilcain.
  • II Nant Cottage
    Reached along a by-road E off A494 towards Maeshafn; NE of Llanferres. Set back from the road, below the hill on a levelled site.
  • II Glan-y-Afon
    Situated 0.5 km E of Tafarn-y-gelyn in its own grounds beside the River Alyn. Reached from a drive running E off the A494 between Tafarn-y-Gelyn and Loggerheads.
  • II Holt Hostel
    On the slopes of Moel Findeg, c750m SE of the village of Maeshafn, in woodland on the NE side of the lane

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.