This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0265 / 53°1'35"N
Longitude: -3.0063 / 3°0'22"W
OS Eastings: 332602
OS Northings: 348158
OS Grid: SJ326481
Mapcode National: GBR 75.F87J
Mapcode Global: WH894.S6L5
Plus Code: 9C5R2XGV+HF
Entry Name: Stable Courtyard Range
Listing Date: 7 June 1963
Last Amended: 3 December 1996
Source ID: 1584
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately to the S of the kitchen block at Erddig.
Community: Marchwiel (Marchwiail)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Designed by James Wyatt and executed by William Turner of Whitchurch, 1772-4, as part of Philip Yorke I's improvements to the house and estate. Documentary evidence suggests that this complex housed not only horses and carriages but that the north-east corner block contained a dairy and brewhouse. Presently used as livery stables and display areas for the National Trust.
Stables arranged around a square cobbled courtyard containing diagonal drainage channels and central drain. One storey with attics broken only by the projecting carriage archway. Red brick in irregular bond with dentil cornice, sandstone dressings to openings and plinth, renewed Welsh slate roof. W entrance elevation: 5 bays with central bay occupied by 2 storey height carriage arch. Archway faced in ashlar and rusticated in a radiating keystone pattern, finished with a central pediment with simple cornice and circular opening beneath which the date 1774 is embossed. The upper section of the arch is enclosed in timber to provide access from flanking attic storeys 4 multi-paned casement windows symmetrically placed, stone lintels with central keystone. Sandstone mounting to right. E elevation: 4 double wooden doors to former coach houses, that to extreme left is alteration of late C20. Others have stone dressing to jambs. Single multi-paned casement window with stone lintel with central keystone. 2 small dormers to attic. S elevation: central archway leading to estate yard, upper section again filled in to provide flooring across at attic level. 2 windows to either side similar in detail to other elevations, those in corner former doorways. Dormer window in centre two brick stacks to either end. N elevation: 3 doorways, and 2 windows all with stone lintels and central keystone. 3 brick stacks. External elevations are mainly blank brick walls, however E and W ranges have single Diocletian windows with stone surrounds.
W and S ranges contain provision for stabling, mixture of loose boxes and stables. Stanchions articulated by rows of arcaded Tuscan stone columns, curved wooden internal partitions with individual cast iron manger baskets set wth arched headed recesses. Many stalls have fine plank doors with iron grills. Internal walkways defined in York paving stones with drainage channel while stall floors are cobbled. Internal brickwork is whitewashed. Part of S range is now converted into offices. N range contains heated tack rooms with wooden panelling, cupboards and pegs. 2 smaller stables. Room to far right has large chimney breast which now contains a late C18 Neoclassical cast-iron grate. This area may have been subdivided at one time and used as a dairy. E range contains coach houses, part of it is open to the roof exposing 3 king post trusses. Attic storey is reached from combination of stone and wooden staircases and consists of spartan unheated accommodation.
Listed at II* as an extremely distinguished composition by an architect of national repute which retains virtually intact its original interior in plan form and fixtures and fittings.
Group value with Erddig and associated listed outbuildings.
Other nearby listed buildings