This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.027 / 53°1'37"N
Longitude: -3.0062 / 3°0'22"W
OS Eastings: 332614
OS Northings: 348218
OS Grid: SJ326482
Mapcode National: GBR 75.F88F
Mapcode Global: WH894.S5PS
Entry Name: S Garden Pavilion including attached walls, alcove gatepiers and gates immediately to E of house
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 3 December 1996
Source ID: 17857
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Attached to the S end of the E side of the house and framing the parterre.
Community: Marchwiel (Marchwiail)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
This part of the garden was remodelled in the 1860s. The walls flanking the parterres were partially demolished in 1898 and the shaped gable was added to the pavilion c1912.
A brick wall with flat stone parapet runs at right angles to the house at the SE end and is attached to a pair of square-section brick gatepiers with flat stone caps with iron gates of late C19 character. The wall continues then returns at right angles. In the angle is a seating alcove consisting of a curved recess framed by square-section brick piers with flat stone caps, there is a shaped gable and the entrance arch is of hard red Ruabon brick. The wall continues parallel to the house and the return at right angles is formed by a brick pavilion framed by rusticated stone piers with ball finials. The extravagantly shaped gable is built above a string course and it contains arch-headed windows at each side and a central circular opening. The wall returns at right angles and set into it on an axis through the rose garden and Moss Walk is a seating alcove consisting of a gabled opening to a curved recess flanked by red brick piers with ball finials. These and the gable have dentil decoration in buff brick.
Listed as a well-designed Victorian/Edwardian garden scheme and as an essential part of the setting of the house.
Group value with Erddig and the garden structures of the E front of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings