This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0265 / 53°1'35"N
Longitude: -3.0056 / 3°0'20"W
OS Eastings: 332648
OS Northings: 348165
OS Grid: SJ326481
Mapcode National: GBR 75.F8DZ
Mapcode Global: WH894.S6Y4
Entry Name: Garden walls to S side of formal garden including gate piers, gates and alcove
Listing Date: 3 December 1996
Last Amended: 3 December 1996
Source ID: 17860
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: The wall runs along the S side of the formal garden to the E of Erddig and returns at right angles at the end of the garden.
Community: Marchwiel (Marchwiail)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The walls relate to a garden laid out by John Meller in 1718-33 based on a plan by Stephen Switzer and shown on an engraving of 1740 by Thomas Badeslade. The walls have been repaired and rebuilt and some new openings have been made at various times since the early C18. Major restoration undertaken by the National Trust during the 1970s.
The wall is of a mixture of bonds, with some sections in English Garden Wall bond and some Flemish bond. The brick is generally red or reddish brown and various different sizes relate to different areas of rebuilding and repair. The wall has a flat stone parapet for part of its length and the section nearest the house is formed by the walled garden to the S. The wall continues with a dentil cornice and coped brick parapet. The wall returns at right angles and at the corner is a seating alcove which consists of a shaped opening to a curved recess. The wall continues and is attached to a pair of square section stone gatepiers with stone ball finials. There are stone steps up to restored early C18 gates which were positioned to terminate a vista along the Moss Walk and through the rose garden. The wall continues terminating at the iron screen.
Listed as a surviving feature of an exceptional and rare early C18 formal garden.
Group value with Erddig and with garden structures of the E front of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings