This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0809 / 53°4'51"N
Longitude: -2.8791 / 2°52'44"W
OS Eastings: 341208
OS Northings: 354104
OS Grid: SJ412541
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.9WPH
Mapcode Global: WH88T.RT5G
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 7 June 1963
Last Amended: 17 July 1996
Source ID: 1596
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set within a rectangular churchyard, at the end of a lane, and retaining good C19 monuments.
Built-Up Area: Holt
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Church was remodelled by Sir William Stanley, who held the lordship of Bromfield and Holt Castle, in the late fifteenth century. The rebuilding retained the C14 nave arches and a piscina of similar date was reset in a chapel. A truncated arch and partial pier at the SE end of the chancel arcade suggests that the C15 remodelling was not completed according to plan. Parapet added c1732. Restored in 1871-3 by Ewan Christian and John Douglas of Chester at a cost of £4,000. Christian built the present sanctuary and Douglas was responsible for most of the furnishings and a complete or very substantial rebuilding of the camberbeam roof.
Perpendicular aisled church. Red sandstone blocks laid in courses, rectangular plan with W tower said to be 1679, N and S doors, unbroken aisled nave and chancel. N and S aisle windows perpendicular in style, later C18 parapet. S door, four centred arch with enriched drip mould surround. Carved stone panel above S door contains a much weathered scene of the Annunciation. Tablet in parapet above with inscription `JOHN ROWE, JOFHUA POWELL, CHURCH WARDENS 1732'. E end elevation perpendicular panel tracery windows to chancel and aisles. Beneath chancel window an ogee headed marble memorial slab is inserted to commemorate Jasper Peck of Cornish Hall d 1688. Apex of gable parapet contains tablet with inscription `THE REVEREND JOHN ADAMS MINISTER 1732', iron cross on apex. Chancel and north aisle buttresses finished with decorative finials. The later W tower contains a peal of 6 bells by Rudhall of Gloucester which were installed in 1714 and rehung in an iron bell frame in 1896. The clock on the W tower was installed in 1902 to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII.
The nave has 5-bay arcades with tall acutely pointed arches on octagonal piers. There is no structural division between nave and chancel which continues for a further two bays with wide 4-centred arches on octagonal piers with exaggerated concave faces. Steps up to the sanctuary which has a floor with plain and encaustic tiles and is separated from N and S chapels by low walls. There is a continuous camberbeam roof with panels which are decorated with foliated bosses in the chancel. Aisles have similar roofs. In the S wall of the S chapel is a reset piscina with an ogee head flanked by abraded crocketted pinnacles. At the W end is a tall narrow tower arch. The exposed stone walls have a number of mason's marks and graffito, some of C18 date. At the SW end is a font with octagonal bowl which is boldly carved with faces and stems with heraldic motifs including the fleur-de-lis of Henry VII and the stag head caboched of the Stanleys; the heraldry is said to suggest a date of 1483. C19 furnishings are generally of oak; the chancel screen has open ogee arcading, an octagonal pulpit on stone base is richly carved; the pews have poppyheads. Organ by Norman & Beard 1910, rebuilt 1976. Monuments include a copper plate on the N wall of the N chapel by Silvanus Crue of Wrexham to Thomas Crue d 1666 whose name is commemorated in an acrostic. Well-executed design which includes skulls, hourglasses, sundials and a recumbent skeleton. Brass on N aisle wall with angel blowing the last trump, Mary Dutton, d 1767. Above the N door is a Neoclassical monument with festooned urn and winged putto; Christiana Smith d 1811. W side of tower arch a brass with angel, skull and winged hourglass; John Lloyd d 1784. Above S door is a cartouche with drapery and winged putto, partially legible. Plain glass with the exception of a S aisle windows with SS David, Asaph, Chad and Swithun in memory of G T Kenyon dated 1912 and signed PGG.
Listed at grade I as an outstanding example of a medieval parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings