Sundial in churchyard at Parish Church of St Chad
A Grade II Listed Building in Wrexham, Wrexham
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Upload Photo »
Latitude: 53.0807 / 53°4'50"N
Longitude: -2.8792 / 2°52'45"W
OS Eastings: 341204
OS Northings: 354086
OS Grid: SJ412540
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.9WN8
Mapcode Global: WH88T.RT5L
Plus Code: 9C5V34JC+78
Entry Name: Sundial in churchyard at Parish Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 17 July 1996
Last Amended: 17 July 1996
Source ID: 16960
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated on the S side of the churchyard at the Parish Church of St. Chad.
Built-Up Area: Holt
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Probably erected in 1736 although the column is sometimes claimed to be a re-used Roman column on the basis of its entasis.
Sandstone shaft, clearly shaped as a column mounted on 2 concentric stone steps. The initials and date `RCW 1736 TP?W' are carved onto the shaft. The upper face no longer retains its dial and gnomon.
Reasons for Listing
Listed for group value with the Parish Church of St. Chad.
Other nearby listed buildings
Parish Church of St Chad
Set within a rectangular churchyard, at the end of a lane, and retaining good C19 monuments.
Gates, Gate-piers and Railings at W entrance to churchyard at Parish Church of St Chad
Situated to the E side of Church Green, set back from the road at main entrance to churchyard. Attached red brick walls border path down to west door of Church.
Situated at the end of Deeside Lane next to the River Dee.
Situated at the junction of Castle Street, Church Street and Frog Lane at the former Market Place.
War Memorial (including railings)
Situated at the junction of Castle Street, Church Street and Frog Lane at the former Market Place. Set within a square enclosure surrounded by cast iron railings.
Spanning the broad River Dee which forms the boundary between Wales and England. Carries the main road, formerly the A 534, between Holt and Farndon
Situated on a prominent hill, off Green Street, overlooking the River Dee.
Situated at the end of a path to the S side of Deeside. The castle remains are situated on a sandstone boss around which a quarry was later dug out.