This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1573 / 53°9'26"N
Longitude: -4.1787 / 4°10'43"W
OS Eastings: 254418
OS Northings: 364455
OS Grid: SH544644
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.55DN
Mapcode Global: WH54D.SW9Y
Plus Code: 9C5Q5R4C+WG
Entry Name: Glasgoed Hall
Listing Date: 29 April 1952
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 3682
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to north of farmyard at end of track running north from minor road between Bethel/Saron and Penisa'r Waun; lawned area to north of house is site of former garden.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tagged with: Architectural structure
Early C17 house - a datestone of 1623 (now gone) is recorded - built for members of the Wynne family, Owen Wynne being resident here in 1654. Both he and his wife, Elin, are recorded in the datestone of the porch, added in 1657. The oldest part of the house is the main block in 2 distinct sections on a north-south axis with the west wing an early addition (?1630s); next comes the porch (to the east) and in the C18 (possibly 1738- see Interior) the staircase projection in the angle between main range and west wing, the north wall of the latter being refenestrated in the late C18 or early C19. Much of the main block was rebuilt in the C19 and c1900 and it is only to the east at the southern end that early fabric survives in this part of the building. At the time of Survey much of the house was in poor condition and only the southern two-thirds of the main range occupied.
2 storeys, with 3 storeys over cellar to west wing. Roughly coursed rubblestone, parts roughcast, with ashlar dressings to original openings and to coped verges of slate roofs. East elevation of main block is in 2 distinct sections, north higher and with end stack at junction with lower part, which has catslide outshut and may originally be very slightly the earlier of the 2 sections; projecting 2-storey gabled porch to right of lower part has a round-headed doorway with moulded jambs, hoodmould and naively-carved head-stops; internally splayed slit windows to sides; directly above doorway is slightly recessed date tablet with dripmould and inscription "1657/OW 41/EW 38" for Owen and Elin Wynne with their ages at the time of the porch's erection; immediately above again is a 3-light mullioned and transomed window with dripmould, while apex of gable has ashlar integral end stack with moulded capping. West side (rear) of this range has 3 irregularly spaced windows on each floor, all formerly 4-paned sashes but those to right of half-glazed door (immediately to right of C19 purple brick ridge stack) now top-hung replacements; similar integral end stack to right. North side of west wing in 3 bays has sash windows on all floors, 12-paned to left and right and 16-paned to centre on first floor, of 9 panes directly under eaves to second, all unhorned with slate cills; doorway to left on ground floor; substantial integral end stack of dressed stone with slate drips to right, flanked by 2 windows in attic with further windows on right to ground and first floors; similar stack on left at junction with main north-south range, which has crow-stepped gable end projecting to north. C20 lean-to addition in front of this gable continues to right overlapping eastern part of west wing. South wall of west wing has similar lean-to on left concealing from view a 3-light mullion window with moulded dripstone; projecting gabled staircase projection to right has battens for former slate hanging, 12-paned sash window on first floor and 2-light window on ground floor, both with slate cills.
Internal inspection of earlier (now unoccupied) parts not possible at time of survey owing to poor structural condition and alleged dry rot but main room of west wing is said to have good early C18 panelling and 6-panel door. Section of similar panelling reset at foot of stair (which has C20 inscription "T. 1600 RESTORED 1900 H.") is inscribed "1738/D/E.M." Staircase itself is of dog-leg form but mortises in its woodwork suggest that it was formerly of open-well type and may have been moved from elsewhere in the building; much early C17 work survives in the present staircase, including the carved finials and pendants to its square newels, the handrail and turned balusters with square central knops; C20 stained glass in ground-floor staircase window. Small corner fireplace in room over porch has attached Doric columns with moulded capitals and bases; lintel has raised horizontal strap with central blank shield.
Included as an important early C17 gentry house, which despite later modification and notwithstanding its present poor condition retains much of its original fabric intact.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings