History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Best Stables on S side of Vaynol Old Hall and courtyard walls.

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pentir, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2026 / 53°12'9"N

Longitude: -4.19 / 4°11'23"W

OS Eastings: 253820

OS Northings: 369521

OS Grid: SH538695

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.28N0

Mapcode Global: WH546.LRZP

Plus Code: 9C5Q6R36+22

Entry Name: The Best Stables on S side of Vaynol Old Hall and courtyard walls.

Listing Date: 26 August 1992

Last Amended: 22 September 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 4167

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The stables are set in the heart of Vaynol Park, attached to buildings at the W end of Vaynol Old Hall. They close the E side of the enclosed cobbled courtyard which opens from the main driveway to V

County: Gwynedd

Town: Bangor

Community: Pentir

Community: Pentir

Locality: Vaynol Park

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

This grand stable range probably dates from the early C20 (?1905) when the family's equestrian interests demanded bigger and better stabling. Alterations were made in the summer of 1913, when new furnishings were installed by Young & Co. The Vaynol Papers have exceptionally detailed accounts of expenditure on the horses (by name) and the stables, including evidence of continual improvements. Winners of all the major races are said to have been trained here, including four Grand National winners, e.g. Cloister (1912-4) whose head is now preserved in the Newmarket Museum.

Exterior

Of stone, with a slate roof. A single-storey 5 bay stable range with segmental headed horned sash windows with voussoirs and keystones. A central boarded door has a tall paned fanlight.

Interior

Unaltered interior, fitted out by Young & Co. of London. It retains fine mahogany front and stanchions to the 3 stalls, including railings at the top, and tall columns with nickel plated ball finials. The walls are boarded to dado height, above which is a band of green and white hexagonal tiles. Panelled cross beams support the loft over, and the building has a central roof ventilator. Diagonal brick pavoirs on the floor. Cold running water with a lead basin and troughs. A door connects with the service range of the Old Hall.

Reasons for Listing

Graded II* as an exceptional example of estate stabling, representing the height of fashion and knowledge about the care of horses at this date.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.