This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.914 / 52°54'50"N
Longitude: -4.4903 / 4°29'24"W
OS Eastings: 232651
OS Northings: 338076
OS Grid: SH326380
Mapcode National: GBR 57.NFP8
Mapcode Global: WH44H.001X
Entry Name: Plas Boduan
Listing Date: 19 October 1971
Last Amended: 15 July 1998
Source ID: 4265
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 350m NE of the A 497 road and 350m NE of Boduan Church.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Country house partly of 1736, built for Thomas Wynn (date and initials TW on roof beam), said to incorporate the remains of a medieval building. The home of the Wynn family from the C16, subsequently owned by the main branch created Barons Newborough in 1776 and part of the Glynllifon estate. Substantial enlargements of several phases: the S front appears to have been doubled in size possibly in 1892 as an old photograph shows 3 bays only not 7. 1808, 1892, 1906 and 1980 dates on rainwater heads. The big L-plan rear of 1830 much altered c 1970-4. North wing re-built c1980. Used as an hotel during 1970s.
Country house, painted stucco with slate roofs and paired roughcast end wall stacks to main front. S front is two-storey and attic, 7-window range with centre bay projected. Left end bay is wider suggesting enlargement to W. Limestone moulded cornice carried around flat-roofed centre bay, ball finials at angles. Limestone gable copings. 12-pane hornless sashes, longer on ground floor, and centre door of 6 fielded panels with C20 moulded stucco cornice on brackets over. 3 gabled eaves dormers each side of small centre gable all with 6-pane hornless sashes. Sundial over first floor centre window - FGW (Frederick George Wyn) 1898. Five ornate cast rainwater hoppers initialled FGW with dates 1808, 1892 and 1906, and a sixth initialled RS (Raymond Slater) 1980. E end wall has two windows on each floor with 12-pane, hornless sashes.
Long NE rear wing altered in later C20 has W seven-window range of 12-pane sashes over 7-bay loggia with Roman Doric columns and thin cornice. Four inner sash windows, C20 glazed lobby at right end, 6-panel door left of centre, and glazed doors in left end wall. 6-window E side, with similar sashes and 6-window wing running E from N end, similar style, hipped to E. This is rear of S range of C-plan former stables courtyard, the N side with rubble stone ground floor and stucco above. Altered to domestic accommodation with C20 doors and windows in elliptical-arched former coach openings. W range runs N from NE wing of house, rubble stone, 2-storey with big central through-archway, narrow windows to W, sashes to E. Later C19 gabled chapel and servants quarters to W of stables court.
Not available for inspection, but descibed in1964 RCAHM volume as having C18 panelling and stairs.
Included as a regionally important country house retaining a well-preserved Georgian facade.
Other nearby listed buildings