This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.831 / 52°49'51"N
Longitude: -4.5313 / 4°31'52"W
OS Eastings: 229569
OS Northings: 328949
OS Grid: SH295289
Mapcode National: GBR 55.TPRP
Mapcode Global: WH44V.C3HH
Entry Name: Church of St Cian
Listing Date: 19 October 1971
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 4310
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in Llangian village in large churchyard on E side of road.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Anglican parish church first recorded in C13 but rebuilt in the C15 with surviving C15 roof. Heavily restored with new windows and vestry by Henry Kennedy in 1858 for R Lloyd Edwards of Nanhoron. Kennedy's W rose window has been removed in the C20 and the timber W porch was added c1906.
Parish church, rubble stone with C19 squared grey rubble stone to W end, single slate roof with coped gables and C19 W bellcote. C19 NE gabled vestry and early C20 timber W porch. Side walls are partly medieval, some boulder footings on S. W end has massive base stones to corners. C19 red sandstone kneelers to gable and a brown stone band across. Old photographs show a small W rose window since replaced by a chequer-pattern cross. Bellcote has recessed pointed arch with moulded shafts, coping and cross finial. Porch is large, enclosed, timber-frame with timber panels and red tile roof. Tudor-arched entry with light each side, continued as window-band on N and S sides, the mullions bobbin-turned; decorative timber work in gable and bargeboards. Tiny lancet in wall each side of porch. Nave N has 3 small C19 lancets, 2 in brown stone, the right one in grey. Chancel N vestry has cross-gabled cap to tall stone N chimney, W shouldered-headed door and N 2 small lancets, E lean-to. Chancel E C19 pointed 2-light with roundel and column shafts. S wall has 3 lancets to chancel and nave. Within porch is pointed shafted W doorway with hoodmould and double ledged door with strap hinges.
Whitewashed walls. Late medieval roof of ten trusses with cusped double windbracing. Arch-braced collar-trusses with varied treatment of the apex, five with cusping to angle struts, the eighth further enriched. It is suggested that the last 2 are plainer as they would have been concealed by a ceilure or canopy. C19 wall-posts and corbels. Plain octagonal font dated 1638, chamfered below to octagonal shaft. Fittings: C19 stalls and poppyhead pews of c1860. Plain 9-bay oak screen 1886. Pulpit and eagle lectern in oak c1896. Three mid to later C19 brass coronae. Monuments: E wall left Timothy Edwards d1780, with naval trophies, by C Harris of London; right, Capt Richard Lloyd Edwards, killed 1854, scroll by W T Hale of London. Chancel N neo-Grec tapering plaque to Col Richard Edwards d1830, by B Baker of Liverpool. In vestry slate plaque to Griffith Jones of Bodwi d1787. Chancel S plaques to Richard Dickinson d1828 and Jane Edwards d1826. Marble urn memorial to Catherine Edwards d1811. Nave N mid C19 neo-Grec monument to various Edwards' d1704-70, by W T Hale of London.
Included as a restored late medieval church retaining a fine roof.
Other nearby listed buildings