This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.84 / 52°50'24"N
Longitude: -4.1133 / 4°6'48"W
OS Eastings: 257750
OS Northings: 329039
OS Grid: SH577290
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.T39J
Mapcode Global: WH55Z.SWG4
Plus Code: 9C4QRVRP+2M
Entry Name: Ty'n Llan
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 4795
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set at the NE side of the main road through the village of Llanfair which forms a loop off the A496. Tyn Llan is to R of the entrance to the Church of St Mary.
Built-Up Area: Harlech
Traditional County: Merionethshire
An earlier house was rebuilt in 1782, but some of its fabric may be retained within its core; in C18 and C19 it was known as the Crown Inn. The landlord in the Census returns of 1851 is recorded as Owen Richards, a retired shoemaker, who also farmed the adjoining 2 acres (0.8 hectares) of land. After his death, his son carried on the shoemaking business, employing 6 men; the trade run from the workshop to the side of the stable (demolished) - later converted to use as dairy.
The stable wing was in a ruinous condition at the time of the previous listing survey in 1966, re-roofed and converted into accommodation in the 1990s.
Two-storey house, formerly a public house, with single storey converted stable block to R (SE). Built of roughly coursed masonry, predominantly of rounded boulders. Modern slate roof with stone copings and small rooflights in the rear (NE) pitch, the house has tall gable stacks with dripstones and capping. The principal elevation opens onto the street, a 3-window range with openings offset to R (SE) under stone lintels. The doors are modern, the house has horned sash windows; most are 16-pane lights, the ground floor window to L of the doorway a larger 20-pane window. The rear wall has scattered fenestration of small casement windows and stair window between units.
In alignment to the R (SE) is a single-storey wing, the former stables, of similar construction; there are small rooflights in the front pitch of the roof. The principal elevation is a single window range, the doorway to R and a single modern casement window of 2 lights to L. At the SE gable there is an external flight of stone steps up to the former loft doorway, now with a modern glazed door.
The interior was not inspected at the time of the survey.
Listed as a good and well preserved late C18 house, a characteristic regional type which retains much original character, particularly with the retention of the fenestration. Forms a group at the centre of the village of Llanfair with the adjacent church and Ty Mawr.
Other nearby listed buildings