This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1904 / 53°11'25"N
Longitude: -3.2078 / 3°12'28"W
OS Eastings: 319394
OS Northings: 366609
OS Grid: SJ193666
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.317Q
Mapcode Global: WH774.P2NG
Plus Code: 9C5R5QRR+5V
Entry Name: Coed Du Hospital
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 16 October 1995
Source ID: 4851
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Situated in landscaped grounds above the River Alyn 1.2 km W of Rhydymwyn, reached from a by road running W off the A541.
Locality: Coed Du
Traditional County: Flintshire
Former Country House now converted to hospital use. Works known to have been carried out 1813 and 1867. A plaque in the village records that Felix Mendelssohn stayed at the house as the guest of Cornish engineer John Taylor in 1829 and composed `The Rivulet' there.
2 storeys, grey coursed stone. Hipped slate roof with very broad boarded eaves, brick chimneys. Original front of 5 bays extended to right for further 3 bays. Second bay has shallow single storey porch in pale limestone, with paired Tuscan columns. Steps up to entrance doorway, camber-headed overlight with diaper glazing, glazed double-leaf door with glazed margins. Voussoir lintels to windows of original 5 bays (stone lintels imitating voussoir lintels to added bays). Multipaned sash windows, those to added bays horned, 9-pane sashes to first floor, 15-pane sashes to ground floor. Right hand return has single storey polygonal bay with splayed slate roof, sash windows. Left hand return has full height polygonal bay with sash windows to first floor and ground floor sides and central C20 glazed door. Wing to rear steps up as ground rises and has two 9-pane sash windows and a single 15-pane sash to the ground floor. Former doorway obscured by C20 extension. Wing continues to left with square tower, low pyramidal slate roof, camber headed 9-pane sashes to upper floor, square headed 9-pane sashes to other floors. Beyond tower to left, 2 further bays that to the right a half-timbered oriel with sash glazing.
To rear, angle between wings has service blocks in matching materials.
Large entrance hall with dentil cornice, segmental arch to staircase hall which has early C19 stair with open string, circular ceiling light with swagged frieze. Some other ground floor rooms have simple cornices and later C19 fireplaces.
Listed as an early C19 country house with local historical associations with the mining industry .
Other nearby listed buildings