This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3125 / 53°18'44"N
Longitude: -4.63 / 4°37'48"W
OS Eastings: 224884
OS Northings: 382732
OS Grid: SH248827
Mapcode National: GBR GMYY.FXL
Mapcode Global: WH314.VZDY
Plus Code: 9C5Q8969+XX
Entry Name: Fitting, Boiler and Smithy Shops
Listing Date: 17 October 1986
Last Amended: 25 July 1994
Source ID: 5734
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Opposite Water Street. Irregular group of 3 parallel ranges to rear (NW) of office and stores building, the Smithy overlooks Victoria Road.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Holyhead (Caergybi)
Locality: Marine Yard, Holyhead Docks
Built-Up Area: Holyhead
Traditional County: Anglesey
Part of a large group of marine workshop buildings, Fitting Shop may incorporate part of pre-1850 building on site, and was rebuilt circa 1880, at same time as Smithy Shops (which included Coppersmiths’, Brass Foundry, and Iron Foundry). Boiler Shop (or Erecting Shop) was contrived between these circa 1890.
To SE, Fitting Shop 2 storey, 2 window gabled end with clock at apex. Green rubble facings with pale dressings, 4-pane sashes under segmental voussoir heads; gabled porch with brackets to bargeboards over doorway. Modern corrugated sheeting and projecting eaves to roof. Short return flanks with paired windows and upper floor dormer treatment. Long 1-storey range to rear with fixed lights under arched heads, 2-storey inner (NE) end.
Tall refronted centre gable with horizontal glazing over modern shuttered entrance to later Boiler Shop. Brick flank elevations with arched clerestorey windows, rubble pilasters, modern corrugated roof.
Lower rubble gable of Smithy to left with single arched window, modern corrugated roof.
Main flanking Victoria Road with centre gablet blocked oculus and irregular dark voussoirs to ground floor arches generally with fixed lights.
Interiors interconnected. Boiler Shop has brick pilastered walls with corbelled out steel girders to support modern travelling crane. Open work timber roofs.
Listed as part of a (probably) unique group of purpose-built marine service buildings at a major British ferry port.
Other nearby listed buildings