History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Holyhead, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3119 / 53°18'42"N

Longitude: -4.6338 / 4°38'1"W

OS Eastings: 224633

OS Northings: 382671

OS Grid: SH246826

Mapcode National: GBR GMYY.D6Y

Mapcode Global: WH31B.S0MW

Plus Code: 9C5Q8968+PF

Entry Name: Market Hall

Listing Date: 24 April 1992

Last Amended: 25 July 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5763

Building Class: Commercial

Location: In town centre on sloping site. Set back and above the street behind single storey shops; side and rear elevations to Summer Hill and Trearddur Square.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Holyhead (Caergybi)

Community: Holyhead

Built-Up Area: Holyhead

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Holyhead

History

Dated 1855, designed by J Edwards Thomas (?), Builder - see inscribed surround to clock face. Commissioned by Hon W O Stanley of Penrhos to succeed the old Market Cross. The access off Stanley Street was remodelled in 1906.

Exterior

Substantial public building, storeyed at the downhill end and built of local green shaley rubble with buff sandstone dressings and slate roofs. Jacobethan frontage distinctive for its mullion and transom windows and shaped gables, the central bay of which is taller, advanced and more richly detailed. Central gable has rounded apex with facetted keystone while the flanking gables have ogee treatment. Plinth, quoins, gable parapets and window surrounds contribute to a mid C19 facade of more than usual interest. The 3-window central bay has clock face set within inscribed roundel; the windows have (?) Robert Smythson type facetted and buttoned panels; the central window has projecting stone architrave with weathered Welsh and English inscriptions and coats of arms to top. Tripartite main entrance below with chamfered semicircular arches, keystones and imposts together with original (dated 1855) wrought iron gates manufactured by Ellis Williams Black Bridge Foundry, Holyhead. Cross-frame windows to outer bays with similar arched doorways. Right hand side, which has been reroofed, has small-pane window with chamfered jambs and stone bracketed base to a former balcony; cross-frame window further on over modern doorway; two blocked windows retaining surrounds beyond and a fine semicircular arched doorway as on the front. 3-gables to top (rear) with simple roundels. On the left hand side the red brick chimneys have been cut down; otherwise similar detail including arched doorway towards top end.In town centre on sloping site. Set back and above the street behind single storey shops; side and rear elevations to Summer Hill and Trearddur Square.

Interior

Retains iron staircase with scrolled newel and straight balusters.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its importance to Holyhead and as a prominent mid C19 town centre building with a well preserved facade.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Caernarfon Castle P H
    At top of Summer Hill facing down towards Stanley Street.
  • I Walls of upper churchyard
    Between Stanley Street and Victoria Road enclosing St Gybi’s Church, and Capel-y-Bedd, entered by gateway from Market Square.
  • I St Cybi's Church
    In chuchyard overlooking inner harbour, entered by archway from Market Square.
  • II Capel y Bedd
    In churchyard overlooking inner harbour, entered by archway from Market Square. To S of St Gybi’s Church near archway to churchyard.
  • II Stanley House
    At SE corner of Churchyard, adjacent to entrance arches, with rear facing over Holyhead inner harbour.
  • II The Captains Table
    At SE corner of Churchyard, adjacent to entrance arches, with rear facing over Holyhead inner harbour.
  • II Lower Churchyard Walls and Gateway
    Below St Cybi’s Church, parallel to road enclosing lower level of churchyard.
  • II Tabernacl Chapel
    On corner with Baptist Street.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.