History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Deiniol's Well

A Grade II Listed Building in Penally, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6611 / 51°39'39"N

Longitude: -4.7239 / 4°43'26"W

OS Eastings: 211700

OS Northings: 199325

OS Grid: SS117993

Mapcode National: GBR GD.S9YG

Mapcode Global: VH2PS.2HJZ

Plus Code: 9C3QM76G+CC

Entry Name: St Deiniol's Well

Listing Date: 14 May 1970

Last Amended: 26 April 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5999

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: A well located beside the lane at the W of the Abbey Hotel. It is immediately opposite the garage of the house named Corn Mwg.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Penally (Penalun)

Community: Penally

Locality: Penally Village

Built-Up Area: Penally

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Penally

Exterior

History: The church advowson grant of 1301 mentions a spring of St. Theliai. This is traditionally taken to be the present well referred to, and its proximity to the Abbey ruins supports the identification.

Description: The well is approximately circular, stone-lined, about 0.9 m in diameter. The superstructure is built in local stone rubble, patched in bricks. In front of it is a small paved area, slightly sunk below the level of the lane. The superstructure is open-fronted, in a horshoe-shape, about 2.5 m high, capped with a sloping stone and a lintel at the front.

Listed as an ancient well.


Reference: RCAHM Inventory (1925), p.292.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ruins in Grounds of Abbey Hotel
    In the grounds of the Abbey Hotel, 50 m N of the house, and close to St Deiniol's Well.
  • II Penally House
    200 m NW of Penally Church. Reached by a private drive from Manor Lodge.
  • II Abbey Hotel
    150 m N of Penally Church. The house stands in extensive grounds. There is a terrace along the garden front with a crenellated wall. Behind the house is a stable building now converted to guest accom
  • II The Cottage
    100 m NW of Penally Church.
  • II Michaelmas Cottage
    40 m W of Penally Church, built into a steep bank at the W edge of the churchyard.
  • II* Church of St Nicholas
    In the centre of the village of Penally. The churchyard is enclosed within a rubble masonry wall with simple iron gates.
  • II Ruins in Grounds of Penally Court
    30 m NW of Penally Court Farmhouse, and adjacent to the main street of the village.
  • II Old Vicarage
    300 m N of Penally Church, at the W side of the main street of the village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.