History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Penally, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6603 / 51°39'36"N

Longitude: -4.7238 / 4°43'25"W

OS Eastings: 211706

OS Northings: 199233

OS Grid: SS117992

Mapcode National: GBR GD.SHYR

Mapcode Global: VH2PS.2JLL

Plus Code: 9C3QM76G+4F

Entry Name: The Cottage

Listing Date: 14 May 1970

Last Amended: 26 April 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5996

Building Class: Domestic

Location: 100 m NW of Penally Church.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Penally (Penalun)

Community: Penally

Locality: Penally Village

Built-Up Area: Penally

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Penally

Exterior

History: A large early/mid-C19 house. The house originated as a cottage. This survives as the kitchen quarters incorporated at the rear, the floor level of which is above that of the main part of the house.The owner in 1841 was Charles Cooke Wells, who owned numerous houses and cottages in Penally. This one was then still described as a cottage, and Wells may have converted it.

Description: The house is of two storeys, and range of three windows, facing E to enjoy the view of Carmarthen Bay. Rendered stonework, now painted pink. A slate roof with a deep overhang at the eaves. Tile ridges. Modern brick chimneys. At the front is a full-width verandah with eight timber columns and a flat roof. Hornless 12-pane sash windows under segmental arches. At the right is a late-C19 bay with French windows with margin lights. The front door is semi-glazed. It has nine panes above its mid-rail and two sunk panels below.

Listed as a well-preserved example of an early or mid-C19 house, retaining a Regency character.


Reference: Tithe Survey of Penally (1841) parcel 337

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Abbey Hotel
    150 m N of Penally Church. The house stands in extensive grounds. There is a terrace along the garden front with a crenellated wall. Behind the house is a stable building now converted to guest accom
  • II Michaelmas Cottage
    40 m W of Penally Church, built into a steep bank at the W edge of the churchyard.
  • II* Church of St Nicholas
    In the centre of the village of Penally. The churchyard is enclosed within a rubble masonry wall with simple iron gates.
  • II St Deiniol's Well
    A well located beside the lane at the W of the Abbey Hotel. It is immediately opposite the garage of the house named Corn Mwg.
  • II Ruins in Grounds of Abbey Hotel
    In the grounds of the Abbey Hotel, 50 m N of the house, and close to St Deiniol's Well.
  • II Penally House
    200 m NW of Penally Church. Reached by a private drive from Manor Lodge.
  • II Ruins in Grounds of Penally Court
    30 m NW of Penally Court Farmhouse, and adjacent to the main street of the village.
  • II Cross Inn
    Facing a minor street 100 m SW of Penally Church. At the front is a small terrace with a stone wall, reached from the road by a short flight of steps.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.