This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6598 / 51°39'35"N
Longitude: -4.7233 / 4°43'24"W
OS Eastings: 211734
OS Northings: 199178
OS Grid: SS117991
Mapcode National: GBR GD.SJ2J
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.2JTZ
Entry Name: Michaelmas Cottage
Listing Date: 26 April 1996
Last Amended: 26 April 1996
Source ID: 16913
Building Class: Education
Location: 40 m W of Penally Church, built into a steep bank at the W edge of the churchyard.
Community: Penally (Penalun)
Locality: Penally Village
Built-Up Area: Penally
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
History: Built on old foundations in 1820 as the schoolmaster's house by the Vicar, Rev. J Hughes. The old building adjoining at its rear was altered to serve as the new school, superceding an earlier school of 1804. The school and schoolroom were said to be 'on ecclesiastical ruins'. The lowest 2m of the cottage front, in limestone, is probably masonry retained from the 'ruins'. The school functioned until the new National School in the village was opened in 1873. The buildings were the property of the Church in Wales until c.1965 when they were bought by Penally parish. At this time the house was given its present name.
Description: Small two-storey cottage with range of two windows and central door, facing N. Random rubble masonry of local stone with selected better quality stones in the front elevation. Quoins and window dressings formed of larger blocks of limestone, creating a colour contrast. Slate roof with tile ridge and brick end-chimneys, capped. The windows are distinctive features of the cottage. Tall, inward-opening casements with margin lights. Painted sills and lintels. Double front doors, each leaf being a single panel. Plain semi-elliptical fanlight under a painted arch. Three steps to the doors.
The basement of the building consists of two rooms, one a cellar used with the cottage, and the other a space reached by a trapdoor from the churchyard.
Listed as an early C19 schoolmaster's cottage which retains its original character, on a site of archaeological importance within the ancient churchyard. It also has group value with the Church.
References: Inquiry into Education in Wales (1847), pp. 98, 190, 393;
Other nearby listed buildings