History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bethel Congregational Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in St Florence, Pembrokeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6754 / 51°40'31"N

Longitude: -4.7744 / 4°46'27"W

OS Eastings: 208271

OS Northings: 201048

OS Grid: SN082010

Mapcode National: GBR GC.SGM6

Mapcode Global: VH2PR.64BZ

Entry Name: Bethel Congregational Chapel

Listing Date: 14 May 1970

Last Amended: 1 August 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6011

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: In the village of St. Florence, 100 m SE of the Church, on a corner site facing N with a lane at the W side.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Tenby

Community: St. Florence

Community: St. Florence

Locality: St Florence Village

Built-Up Area: St Florence

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Saint Florence

History

A Congregational chapel was established in St Florence before 1805, with visiting ministers. The first resident minister was appointed in 1819. The name Bethel was that of the first chapel, and was retained when the present chapel was built in 1858. The chapel opened in June 1859. The name of the designer has not yet been ascertained. It closed in 1988 and private domestic conversion commenced in 1995.

Exterior

There is space at the front and sides of the building. Gates flanked by railings on a low wall at the front and a wall returning at the W side facing the lane.

Single-storey chapel in a warm grey sandstone. The front elevation is in snecked hammer-dressed ashlar masonry with a high plinth. Lighter coloured sandstone for the dressings of the windows and doors and for the name-tablet above. Slate roof. The front gable elevation has two windows. Three-light windows with mullions interlacing. Simple hood-mould. Four-centred doorway with a stopped chamfer. Plain boarded double doors. At high level there is a large tablet consisting of a trefoil feature surrounding a ribbon with the inscription 'Bethel 1858' beneath a hood-mould.

The side elevations are of coursed rubble masonry with similar windows but with no hood-moulds. Two windows in each side elevation. The rear elevation is a plain wall, slate-hung.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a neat village chapel with simple gothic detailing.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.