This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6869 / 51°41'12"N
Longitude: -4.7648 / 4°45'53"W
OS Eastings: 208981
OS Northings: 202300
OS Grid: SN089023
Mapcode National: GBR GC.RZ01
Mapcode Global: VH2PK.CVDQ
Entry Name: Ivy Tower Mansion
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 1 August 1996
Source ID: 6013
Building Class: Recreational
Location: 100 m S of the B4318 and E of the turning to St. Florence village.
Community: St. Florence
Community: St. Florence
Locality: Ivy Tower
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Ivy Tower was the residence for many generations of the Williams family, descendants of Bishop Farrar; Robert Williams of Ivy Tower, d. 1655; William Williams, gentleman, paid tax on four hearths in 1670; John Williams of Ivy Tower d. 1704. In 1803 William Williams III purchased the lordship of St. Florence from the Crown. HE DIED IN 1813 AND the property passed by marriage to Orlando Harris who took the name Williams. The earliest surviving part of the present house is its rear wing, of the C18. It was probably O H Williams who rebuilt the front part in the early C19. Lewis in 1842 described Ivy Tower as 'a commodious modern residence CONTAINING A GOOD ANTIQUARIAN AND CLASSICAL LIBRARY'. On the death of O H Williams in 1849 the property was bought by John Leach. A drawing in 1913 shows all the ground storey windows at the front were French windows. It was sold at auction to Woodhouse in 1922; in the sale particulars it was described as having five bedrooms. In 1975 the grounds opened as a leisure park.
C19 main range of two storeys and five windows, facing N. The return elevations are of three windows. Rendered and painted rubble masonry on an ashlar plinth. Low-pitch slated hipped roof behind a cornice and parapet. Twelve-pane windows with hornless sashes to the upper storey at front and throughout the older rear wing. French windows to the ground storey of the main part. At the centre is a large entrance porch with two pairs of Tuscan columns and pilasters at the rear. The original doors have been lost.
It is now the headquaters of Manor House Wildlife and Leisure Park. An offices and toilet wing has recently been added at the W side of the house.
Central hall with archway to the stairs at the rear. The stairs have a half-landing and a swept handrail, coiled at the foot. Round-headed sash window to the landing with interlaced glazing bars. At the left are the former dining room and gun room of the 1922 description, now made into one room; at the right are the former library and dining room, now also made into one room. The rear reception room at the right (former dining room) has a simple marble fireplace and an ornamental plaster ceiling surround.
Listed as an important house retaining some original features.
Other nearby listed buildings