This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.694 / 51°41'38"N
Longitude: -4.9527 / 4°57'9"W
OS Eastings: 196025
OS Northings: 203602
OS Grid: SM960036
Mapcode National: GBR G7.W9KB
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.3PJ7
Plus Code: 9C3QM2VW+JW
Entry Name: Former Captain Superintendent's Office
Listing Date: 18 January 1974
Last Amended: 18 February 1994
Source ID: 6435
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on W side of main avenue, some 60m N of entrance gates.
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock
Locality: The Dockyard
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1847-8 former Captain Superintendent's Office and Surgery, built by Fox, Henderson and Co, Birmingham, engineers.
Original intention was for Captain Superintendent's Office above a police station: 1848 tender advert calls building 'new surgery and police station'. But the 1858 plan marks office in S half and surgery in N half. Fox, Henderson & Co was a noted firm of engineers who built the iron roofs over Nos 8 and 9 slips in the Dockyard 1845-7, and over No 7 slip in 1847 (all demolished). They also built the yard Fire Station (demolished). In 1851 they built the Crystal Palace, London.
Tooled grey squared limestone with asbestos hipped roof and corniced stone stacks. Basement and two storeys, 1-4-1-window range, the end entrance bays set back. Ashlar plinth, rusticated quoins, first-floor sill band, cornice and parapet. Windows in flush ashlar surrounds, all boarded over, but in 1981 said to contain 12-pane sashes. In each end bay, ground floor has tall ashlar doorcase with cornice on consoles. Double 3-panel doors with 4-pane overlight. One-window end elevations. NW rear angle has marks of demolished section, 4-window rear to main part. Front area has fine heavy spearhead railings on low plinth.
Condition: derelict (1993).
Group value with former Guard House and other listed buildings in Dockyard.
Other nearby listed buildings