This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6953 / 51°41'42"N
Longitude: -4.9528 / 4°57'10"W
OS Eastings: 196025
OS Northings: 203742
OS Grid: SM960037
Mapcode National: GBR G7.W9HS
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.3NH8
Entry Name: The Old Storehouse
Listing Date: 18 January 1974
Last Amended: 18 February 1994
Source ID: 6441
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to W of Sunderland House, behind ferry terminal.
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock
Locality: The Dockyard
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Circa 1822 main dockyard storehouse (now offices of H M Customs and B&I Line) by Edward Holl.
Until 1944 there was a tall metal-clad domed clock tower in centre. A matching storehouse, without clocktower was built c1857 immediately S and has been demolished since 1981.
Limestone rubble with granite dressings, hipped slate roof. Basement and two storeys, 9 bays divided 3-3-3, the centre 3 slightly advanced and pedimented, rendered parapet elsewhere. Granite plinth, quoins, surrounds to ground floor arched recesses and first-floor windows, impost band, plain two-step cornice, and coping to pediment and parapets. Cast-iron small-paned windows, with radiating bars to ground floor. Tilting lower opening half to each window.
Lower windows are set in recessed arches with limestone ashlar infill. Full width double doors in painted iron with radiating bar fanlights to centre of N, E and W elevations. Upper windows are 20-pane with plain surrounds, but N side centre has loading door with iron hoist adjacent. Basement area to N and S. Six cellar doors each side.
Storehouse is constructionally similar to the much larger storehouses at the other Royal Dockyards, but smaller because Pembroke was not used for final fitting out or victualling.
Extensive fireproof construction with stone axial wall, and stairs, iron doors through, two rows of columns carrying big cast-iron beams with fish-bellied cast-iron joists, on which York stone flagstones were laid. Upper floor not inspected but said to have iron roof construction.
Grade II* for its high quality design and use of ironwork for fireproof construction.
Group value with other listed items in Pembroke Dockyard.
Other nearby listed buildings