History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Eigon

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanigon, Powys

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0521 / 52°3'7"N

Longitude: -3.148 / 3°8'52"W

OS Eastings: 321379

OS Northings: 239927

OS Grid: SO213399

Mapcode National: GBR F0.DV34

Mapcode Global: VH6BJ.DP56

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Eigon

Listing Date: 28 September 1961

Last Amended: 20 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6623

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated on rising ground in an elevated position overlooking Llanigon.

County: Powys

Community: Llanigon

Community: Llanigon

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llanigon

History

St Eigon is a mediaeval church much repaired & restored at more than one date in C19, with a picturesque C17 belfry over the S porch. Nave C13, chancel and S porch C14, vestry C19. Of the repairs to damage done in 1941 not much can be easily identified. It is aligned NE-SW, using the contours; here described as facing S.

Exterior

The church is built of stone with mainly machine-made clay-tile roofs. The nave has 'Early English' windows, mainly C19, 3-light one to W possibly older. The roof projects on extended purlins, those to W ogee-moulded, early C19. 4 buttresses on N added C19. The chancel has a lower pitch roof, slate, with extended purlins. S window C14, 2 trefoil-cusped lights; N light round-arched, C16/17. E end rebuilt C19 in better-squared stone with new 3-light window, Y-tracery. S porch C14 with ovolo-moulded & chamfered arch above splayed caps & chamfered jambs. Original coping level clear on S. C19 outer gates, oak with chamfered & nail-studded latticework. Unusual belfry added, perhaps 1670, with stone louvres to E & W, those on E partly blocked. N vestry C19, EE-style door & window, projecting roof-timbers ogee-ended. Store in SE angle of porch, lean-to roof, original chamfered doorframe.

Interior

Nave plastered except W wall, scraped. 9-facetted plaster barrel-ceiling C19 rising from plaster cornice. W bay defined by 2-centred arch, plain, plastered & leaning to E. S door C19 EE. Chancel arch C19, moulded; roof early C19, 3 bays kingpost trusses, truncated below & bolted to scissored principals & plastered as pitched ceiling later C19, now exposed. Porch, stout oak ceiling supporting heavy frame partly moulded. Roof has arch-braced collared rafters, some truncated, of 2 types but all mediaeval reset.

Furnishings: Barrel organ, mid-C19, oak-grained case with dummy pipes in cusped arch, Bevington & Sons, 48 Greek St, London. Bells, 3, said to date from 1670.

Chairs, pair oak Glastonburies. Communion rails C18, turned oak balusters. Communion table, C18 oak, 3 pairs stout turned legs. Door, nave S, late C19 pine, panelled to S, framed & braced to N, ornamental hinges. Floor-tiles: black, yellow & red, continuous nave & chancel; sanctuary has fine floor of glazed & coloured tiles with 3 large squares of Minton tiles, 1892 . Fonts, late C19 octagonal stone bowl carved with crosses on shafted stem; circular bowl in porch, C13, 3 incised lines. Glass, E, 3 lights, scenes from life of Jesus, J Bell 1856; N, angel, 1892 . Lectern, C19, triangular wooden stand, desk with pierced trefoiled ends. Monument, standard
neo-classical black and white marble, to Melena Acton 1856 & Wm Acton 1875.
Organ in pine case, 1911. Pews: nave, C19 pine box-pews, doors numbered in gold
1-34; chancel, C19 with good carved fleur-de-lys poppyheads. Pulpits, pair, C19 panelled pine, C15-style with cusped arches & spandrels, moulded bases & cornices. Tables, creed, decalogue & Lord's prayer, painted metal, 1853. War Memorials: 1st World War, brass plaque in nave; 2nd War, copper, also recording 'Extensive damage from Enemy Action' 1941.

Reasons for Listing

A mediaeval church with an interesting C17 porch-belfry, and many fittings mainly C19 date.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lychgate at South Side of Churchyard of St Eigon's Church
    Stands in the SW corner of St Eigon's churchyard.
  • II The Old Post Office
    The Old Post Office stands in the middle of Llanigon village 25 metres W of the church on a rising site and end-on to the lane, so that both its front and rear elevations are clearly visible.
  • II Granary and Stable at Ty Mawr
    Immediately to the north of Ty Mawr farmhouse which is situated to east of and below Llanigon Church.
  • II* Ty Mawr
    Stands in a low spot 100 yards E of Llanigon Church, with farmyard and ranges to N.
  • II* Penyrwrlodd Farmhouse
    The house stands adjacent to a lane, 600 metres ESE of Llanigon Church.
  • II Stables at Penyrwrlodd
    The stable-range is situated opposite the house across the lane. It is attached to another farm building.
  • II Plas Celyn
    Plas Celyn is situated in a farmyard 800 metres S of Llanigon.
  • II Bridge Over Digedi Brook
    The bridge crosses the Digedi Brook where the lane enters Llanigon village from NW.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.