History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables at Penyrwrlodd

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanigon, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.051 / 52°3'3"N

Longitude: -3.1382 / 3°8'17"W

OS Eastings: 322044

OS Northings: 239791

OS Grid: SO220397

Mapcode National: GBR F0.DXX1

Mapcode Global: VH6BJ.KQ92

Entry Name: Stables at Penyrwrlodd

Listing Date: 28 September 1961

Last Amended: 20 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6626

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The stable-range is situated opposite the house across the lane. It is attached to another farm building.

County: Powys

Community: Llanigon

Community: Llanigon

Locality: Penyrwrlodd

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llanigon

History

The stable dates from about 1700 and was originally a handsome building with a Dissenting Chapel on the upper floor, but long since turned into a hayloft. Fine interior plaster, external cornice and roof destroyed c.1970.

Exterior

Stone rubble, 2 storeys with a single-pitch roof of asbestos sheets. 3-course platband, upper windows have stone hoods. Front windows extensively blocked both floors or converted to hayloft doors; 2 lower windows have ovolo moulding as on C18 build of house, one similar at rear. Inscription panel(?) now illegible (adjacent build was dated 1706).

Interior

Attic floor removed. Plain fireplace at attic level.

Reasons for Listing

Still a handsome building despite alterations, interesting in the history of Dissent and as part of Penyrwrlodd.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Penyrwrlodd Farmhouse
    The house stands adjacent to a lane, 600 metres ESE of Llanigon Church.
  • II* Ty Mawr
    Stands in a low spot 100 yards E of Llanigon Church, with farmyard and ranges to N.
  • II Granary and Stable at Ty Mawr
    Immediately to the north of Ty Mawr farmhouse which is situated to east of and below Llanigon Church.
  • II Lychgate at South Side of Churchyard of St Eigon's Church
    Stands in the SW corner of St Eigon's churchyard.
  • II Parish Church of St Eigon
    Situated on rising ground in an elevated position overlooking Llanigon.
  • II The Old Post Office
    The Old Post Office stands in the middle of Llanigon village 25 metres W of the church on a rising site and end-on to the lane, so that both its front and rear elevations are clearly visible.
  • II Plas Celyn
    Plas Celyn is situated in a farmyard 800 metres S of Llanigon.
  • II Lower Wenallt
    The house is situated below the Wenallt, on steeply rising ground, behind its own farm buildings.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.