History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Welshpool, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6107 / 52°36'38"N

Longitude: -3.393 / 3°23'34"W

OS Eastings: 305772

OS Northings: 302342

OS Grid: SJ057023

Mapcode National: GBR 9P.8M8Y

Mapcode Global: WH79R.VMGY

Plus Code: 9C4RJJ64+7Q

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 10 March 1953

Last Amended: 4 February 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7579

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located in a prominent position in the small village of Llanllugan within a roughly circular churchyard.

County: Powys

Community: Dwyriw

Community: Dwyriw

Locality: Llanllugan

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanllugan

History

St. Mary of Llanllugan was originally a nunnery church, part of the only pre-reformation nunnery in N Wales which was founded c1200. The church is almost entirely C15, but blocked doorways on the S and N sides may have led to the cloisters and conventual buildings. A wooden plaque inside the church states that £25 was awarded for reseating and restoring the church in 1873.

Exterior

Undivided chancel and nave, S porch, W bellcote. Early Perpendicular. Random masonry under a partially new slate roof with evidence of rebuilding, particularly on the N and E sides. The S elevation has 3 square, Perpendicular windows under flat heads, 2 to the nave and 1 to the chancel, all containing 2 lights with trefoiled heads. The chancel window head is slightly splayed . The S elevation of the chancel contains a blocked doorway under an elliptical, chamfered stone lintel, which may have led to the cloisters. The S porch has a steeply pitched roof and a segmental-arched entrance. The planked S door is also under a segmental-arched head and has 2 orders of cavetto mouldings. Small cusped N window within a blocking to a former N door which had a pointed arch with long narrow voussoirs. To its W are some protruding stones suggesting the presence of a former porch. The Perpendicular E window is slightly off centre with panel tracery in 3 lights with cinquefoiled arched heads and smaller lights above. All the windows have ferramenta. The W bellcote is very simple and consists of a projection of the roof line supported by curved, raked struts.

Interior

Medieval roof structure with some alterations. Arched collar beams with raked, cusped struts and 2 tiers of short, cusped wind braces. Some trusses have a tie beam at wall plate level. Stained glass in E window depicting a crucifixion, a king, an abbess and a Latin inscription. Said to be C15 but reassembled in 1891. C19 wall memorials. Small circular font c 1200, perhaps once decorated, on a modern hexagonal base and square plinth.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved small rural church, retaining its C15 character virtually intact. It was originally the church of the only pre-reformation nunnery in North Wales and is thus of significant historical interest.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Neuadd Goch
    Situated close to the River Rhiw at the end of a narrow lane leading approximately 1 km NE off the route from Llanllugan to Adfa.
  • II Capel Adfa with forecourt railings
    The chapel is prominently sited in the centre of Adfa village.
  • II Memorial to Lewis Evan
    Located in the southern forecourt of Capel Adfa and bounded by iron railings which front the road.
  • II Llwyn-y-brain
    Located on low-lying ground at the end of a narrow lane which leads N from the Llanwyddelan to Adfa road.
  • II* Gwernfyda (also known as Gwern-y-Fedw) including attached barns
    Located approximately 1.5km SW of Llanllugan, on a lane which links Cefn Coch with Adfa. The house is situated on a probable platform site at the bottom of a hillside, and faces SE.
  • II Pen-y-bont Cottage
    Situated on a narrow lane leading to Carmel, approximately 1.5km SW of Llanllugan and close to a bend in the River Rhiw. Close to the mill group at Felin Uchaf.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.