History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial to Lewis Evan

A Grade II Listed Building in Dwyriw, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5995 / 52°35'58"N

Longitude: -3.3889 / 3°23'19"W

OS Eastings: 306028

OS Northings: 301098

OS Grid: SJ060010

Mapcode National: GBR 9P.989G

Mapcode Global: WH79R.XXFJ

Entry Name: Memorial to Lewis Evan

Listing Date: 4 February 1997

Last Amended: 4 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18195

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located in the southern forecourt of Capel Adfa and bounded by iron railings which front the road.

County: Powys

Community: Dwyriw

Community: Dwyriw

Locality: Adfa, Llanwyddelan

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanllugan

History

Memorial to Lewis Evan (1719-1792), a well known preacher and exhorter of the Calvinistic Methodists. He was born in Trefeglwys, but moved to Llanllugan when he was 18. After hearing a sermon by Howell Harris, Lewis Evan was converted and became a member of one of the Montgomeryshire Associations. He was called North to itinerate in Merionethshire and became the first Methodist Counsellor in North Wales. As a result, he suffered much persecution and was jailed many times. He lived to see the construction of Capel Adfa and may have been responsible for it. He died soon after its completion and was buried in Llanllugan churchyard.

Exterior

Stone memorial with 4 sides, each with a recessed, cusped arch designed for an inscription. It is surmounted by a tiered pyramid, topped by a decorated fleur de lis-type finial. The memorial sits on a 2-tiered, square plinth on a wide square base. Shallow iron railings with a circle design are fixed to the top of the base. There is an inscription on 2 sides of the memorial, one in Welsh and one in English.

Reasons for Listing

Listed because of its historical association with a well-known, early Calvinistic Methodist exhorter, and for its association with Capel Adfa.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Capel Adfa with forecourt railings
    The chapel is prominently sited in the centre of Adfa village.
  • II Neuadd Goch
    Situated close to the River Rhiw at the end of a narrow lane leading approximately 1 km NE off the route from Llanllugan to Adfa.
  • II Llwyn-y-brain
    Located on low-lying ground at the end of a narrow lane which leads N from the Llanwyddelan to Adfa road.
  • II* Church of St Mary
    Located in a prominent position in the small village of Llanllugan within a roughly circular churchyard.
  • II* Gwernfyda (also known as Gwern-y-Fedw) including attached barns
    Located approximately 1.5km SW of Llanllugan, on a lane which links Cefn Coch with Adfa. The house is situated on a probable platform site at the bottom of a hillside, and faces SE.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.