History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llwyn-y-brain

A Grade II Listed Building in Newtown, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6063 / 52°36'22"N

Longitude: -3.3739 / 3°22'26"W

OS Eastings: 307057

OS Northings: 301836

OS Grid: SJ070018

Mapcode National: GBR 9Q.8S0M

Mapcode Global: WH79S.4RN8

Plus Code: 9C4RJJ4G+GC

Entry Name: Llwyn-y-brain

Listing Date: 10 March 1953

Last Amended: 4 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7585

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on low-lying ground at the end of a narrow lane which leads N from the Llanwyddelan to Adfa road.

County: Powys

Community: Dwyriw

Community: Dwyriw

Locality: Llanwyddelan

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanllugan

History

An interior beam bears an engraved date of 1680 and the initials G.H. This is said to refer to G. Humphrey. The house formerly had a lobby entry plan typical of the late C17, but was altered in the C19 by the removal of the central stack.

Exterior

Probably timber-framed 3 unit house with C20 flat-roofed extension to rear. 1 storey and attic. The front (E) elevation and N end are slate hung. The S end and rear are timber framed with brick nogging on a brick plinth, while the rear extension is in brick. Slate roof. 2 brick external stacks (C19) replace a probable central stack which would have been opposite the entrance which is just S of centre. The front has a window to each side plus a small window next to the front door. The planked front door is within a small timber-framed porch with French doors. The attic has 2 slated dormers with barge boards. To the rear, timber framing is visible above and inside the extension. It is 3 panels high with cross braces and narrow horizontal bars within some panels. The same pattern is seen in the N gable where it passes behind the stack. Modern uPVC windows throughout which are said to replace open, C20 casements in the same openings.

Interior

The 3 unit plan is retained but the partitions are C20. Original moulded spine beams in the 2 end bays; that in the N bay has an engraving: G.H. 1680. The staircase is at the rear of the central bay, probably in place of a rear door and former chimney.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an example of a late C17 house retaining muchof its original fabric and form. Later alterations including the replacement of a central stack illustrate a typical pattern of development, while the slate-hanging imparts considerable character, retained notwithstanding alterations to fenestration.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Neuadd Goch
    Situated close to the River Rhiw at the end of a narrow lane leading approximately 1 km NE off the route from Llanllugan to Adfa.
  • II Memorial to Lewis Evan
    Located in the southern forecourt of Capel Adfa and bounded by iron railings which front the road.
  • II Capel Adfa with forecourt railings
    The chapel is prominently sited in the centre of Adfa village.
  • II* Church of St Mary
    Located in a prominent position in the small village of Llanllugan within a roughly circular churchyard.
  • II The Old Rectory
    Located in a protected position close to the Church, within a roughly circular garden bounded by a slight ditch.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.