History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Neuadd Goch

A Grade II Listed Building in Newtown, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.609 / 52°36'32"N

Longitude: -3.383 / 3°22'58"W

OS Eastings: 306444

OS Northings: 302139

OS Grid: SJ064021

Mapcode National: GBR 9P.8PRT

Mapcode Global: WH79S.0P98

Plus Code: 9C4RJJ58+HQ

Entry Name: Neuadd Goch

Listing Date: 10 March 1953

Last Amended: 4 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7586

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated close to the River Rhiw at the end of a narrow lane leading approximately 1 km NE off the route from Llanllugan to Adfa.

County: Powys

Community: Dwyriw

Community: Dwyriw

Locality: Llanwyddelan

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanllugan

History

C17. Said by Haslam to date to c 1600. Photographs of the 1940s show the building box-framed with small panels. It had been rendered over by the 1960s.

Exterior

Small, lobby entry plan house with a catslide extension to the rear and a small single storeyed wing to the front under a pitched roof. 2 full storeys and attic. Steeply pitched roof with 2 purlins. Rendered with black-and-white painted framing which does not match the original timber framing. Slate roofs, and brick stack just off centre. The front (N) door is opposite the stack and is planked. There are two small 4-pane iron casement windows, 1 above the door and 1 to the W. The small wing is immediately to the E of the door and is said to be a cart shed. A photograph of the 1940s shows it with the same box framing as the house so it is probably contemporary. Its E side has been replaced in brick and it has cart-shed type double doors to the front. The catslide extension to the rear is in stone to the W and brick to the E, and may represent a dairy block which was later extended. It has a modern, half-lit rear door in the centre, a small brick porch, and small casement windows to each side. Most of the windows are in the gable ends of the building. The W gable end stands on a plinth and is jettied. On the ground floor, a 10-pane wooden window protrudes, and has an ovolo moulded sill and lintel. On the first floor is a 12-pane iron casement window with slightly protruding sill, with a 2 light casement in the attic. The E gable is similar but has no jetty. Its ground and first storey windows are both 10-pane wooden casements, and there is a small 4-pane casement to the left hand side of each one.

Interior

No access to interior at time of inspection (June 1996).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an example of a small but lofty sub-medieval timber-framed house retaining its plan form. The orientation of the house, with one of the jettied gable ends designed to be prominent and forming a 'gable front' is of particular interest.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llwyn-y-brain
    Located on low-lying ground at the end of a narrow lane which leads N from the Llanwyddelan to Adfa road.
  • II* Church of St Mary
    Located in a prominent position in the small village of Llanllugan within a roughly circular churchyard.
  • II Memorial to Lewis Evan
    Located in the southern forecourt of Capel Adfa and bounded by iron railings which front the road.
  • II Capel Adfa with forecourt railings
    The chapel is prominently sited in the centre of Adfa village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.