This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.698 / 52°41'52"N
Longitude: -3.1701 / 3°10'12"W
OS Eastings: 321025
OS Northings: 311789
OS Grid: SJ210117
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.3261
Mapcode Global: WH79H.8FPZ
Entry Name: Trawscoed Hall (also known as Crosswood)
Listing Date: 31 January 1953
Last Amended: 22 February 1995
Source ID: 7610
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a hilltop overlooking Groes-lwyd and the main Welshpool-Llanfyllin Road, replacing a building of 1583.
Community: Guilsfield (Cegidfa)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A gentleman's residence of 1777, built by Sir Roland Hayward, one time Lord Mayor of London, the architect unknown.
Red brick in Flemish bond, hipped slate roof. Three storeys, 5 window bays, with two-storey 2-bay wing on the W end. Front elevation is symmetrical, the three centre bays slightly broken forward and pedimented, with a central oval stone carrying the date 1777. Stone cavetto moulded raking and horizontal cornices, the latter continued over the side bays as an eaves cornice, but which returns at the ends as a brick dentilled and cogged eaves. Central 6-panelled door with radial web fanlight in a round headed opening within an Adamesque fluted doorcase and flat cornice. Twelve-paned sashes, 6-paned to attic floor with rubbed brick lintels and retaining crown glass. C19 similar sashes to wing. The two windows either side of the entrance door are blind. Lead rain-water hoppers with crest, dated 1771, brought from Trawscoed H_n.
The rear elevation has an centrally added 3-storey block containing the entrance, but a 6-panelled door at the E end. The wing has a stone-built (Standard Quarry, Welshpool) rear extension wrapping around the NW corner, with a 48-paned iron window, and the E end elevation is also partly of rubble stonework, and horizontally sliding sashes.
All main windows have panelled shutters within reveals. Dining room, in SE corner, has white marble chimneypiece. Small room contains late C16 panelling and other timberwork of 1650 from Trawscoed H_n. Fine contemporary staircase.
Listed Grade II* for the front elevation design and the quality of the interior fixtures.
Other nearby listed buildings