This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5401 / 52°32'24"N
Longitude: -3.0729 / 3°4'22"W
OS Eastings: 327332
OS Northings: 294118
OS Grid: SO273941
Mapcode National: GBR B3.F24S
Mapcode Global: VH75P.PFC4
Plus Code: 9C4RGWRG+2V
Entry Name: Churchstoke Pottery, Teashop and School House
Listing Date: 1 October 1996
Last Amended: 1 October 1996
Source ID: 17343
Building Class: Education
Location: Formerly school and school house fronting Castle Road, with a car park to the E which used to be the playground.
Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)
Built-Up Area: Churchstoke
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The school house to the west was the original school and was built c1790, known as the Downes School in recognition of its benefactor William Downes. Subsequent to it becoming a 'National School' plans for alterations and additions were drawn up by Robert M. White in 1867. At this time the former school became the masters house.
2 units forming a 4-window range of 2 storeys. Single storey range to rear and a small addition to the E end. Random masonry under a tile roof, except for the rear range which has an asbestos roof. Two brick stacks and a domed lantern.
The school house occupies the W half and has a red brick end stack. It has a symmetrical plan with a central doorway accessed through a pedimented porch against a projecting pedimented gable. 2-window range with a blocked window opening above the porch. The windows are tripartite small-paned casements under wedge lintels with stone sills. The door is 4-panelled. The W gable has one small ground floor window beyond a small lean-to structure.
The former National School is to the E and was previously entered through the E end, possibly through a projecting pedimented gable (architects drawing), but this is now obscured by a small, single storey modern extension. The current entrance comprising half lit double doors is now at the front, making use of the lower half of a window. The school is a 2-window range, the upper storey windows rising to the eaves while those of the lower storey are under segmental stone arches. The windows are of unusual cast iron construction, tripartite with small panes, except for a large central hopper light. On the ridge at the E end is a domed lantern, which may have formerly housed a bell, surmounted by a weather vane. There is a red brick ridge stack probably shared between house and school. The rear range contains a large cast iron window in the N gable under a round headed arch. There are 2 windows in the E elevation similar to elsewhere.
The former school is open plan. A mezzanine floor has been added at the N end. A round headed blocked opening at the S end would have allowed access between the school and house. There is a fireplace and recesses along the W wall. Upstairs, part of a substantial king post truss can be seen, the purlin of which has been replaced. A very large,blocked round-headed window can be seen which probably formed the original N window of the school room before the extension of 1867.
Listed as an unusual building of considerable historic interest and architectural quality.
Other nearby listed buildings