This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5506 / 52°33'2"N
Longitude: -3.0324 / 3°1'56"W
OS Eastings: 330096
OS Northings: 295253
OS Grid: SO300952
Mapcode National: GBR B5.DD3C
Mapcode Global: VH75Q.D581
Plus Code: 9C4RHX29+63
Entry Name: Great Brithdir Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 October 1953
Last Amended: 1 October 1996
Source ID: 7703
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Isolated farmhouse on the S side of Corndon Hill, and on the S side of the road between Hyssington and Old Churchstoke. The house is built on a sloping site and faces N on to the farmyard.
Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
An inscription records the building of the house in 1695. The S gable was rebuilt early C20, and the windows were replaced c1980.
L-shaped 3-unit lobby entry house with N porch, built on a stone plinth. Random rubble with slate roof. Centrally placed stack, the base of which is roughcast, the remainder a brick rebuild c1970. N (front) elevation has a gable to the right, and irregular fenestration, consisting of 3 casements. To the left is a wide buttress. Gabled porch is centrally placed, with a ledged and battened door on the W side. E gable has a single casement window at eaves level. W wall built against an earth bank, with a single casement window, and a fixed light with concrete reveals below the wall plate. S wall has 2 casement windows. E wall of S wing has a lean-to porch of corrugated metal, and a ledged and battened door at the angle with the front range. To the left in the E wall is a casement window. S gable roughcast, with a brick stack.
Plan consists of former kitchen to front left, parlour to front right, and an originally unheated room in cross-wing. Kitchen has a single chamfered beam with stepped stop, and separated by a partition is a service room, reached down stone steps, through a ledged and battened door. Service room has a flagstone floor. Parlour has a spine beam with roll-moulded chamfer, and also contains a quarter turn timber stair reached through a ledged and battened door. The porch has a flagstone floor. Inside the porch is a fragment of a timber beam dated 1695.
Listed as an important late C17 survival, preserving the original plan form of a house with cross-wing.
Other nearby listed buildings