This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.65 / 52°39'0"N
Longitude: -3.1603 / 3°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 321600
OS Northings: 306440
OS Grid: SJ216064
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.64MC
Mapcode Global: WH79P.FNB9
Plus Code: 9C4RMR2Q+2V
Entry Name: Brick Wall to rear of Top Terrace at Powis Castle Gardens
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 7748
Building Class: Defence
Location: Forms the centre-piece of the top terrace, directly beneath the S wall of the main castle building.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Powis Castle
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The design of the terrace gardens at Powis is attributed to William Winde, who is known to have been employed to rebuild the Powis London residence between 1684 and 1688, and who is also thought to have been responsible for work on the castle from c1673. There is no firm dating evidence for the gardens but it is unlikely that the gardens predate 1668, and they were probably largely completed by 1705.
Brick wall, raked up from ground level at each end to its final height, and containing 5 niches in its central section, separated by blind recessed shaped panels, with similar triangular panels to each end. These have stone moulded frames, and contain rubbed brickwork, quite different in character from the brickwork of the main structure. The niches have alternately triangular and segmental pedimented heads, and in their original form (not always respected in later repair work), each employed contrasting colours of stone for architrave, entablature and pediment. They formerly housed statues (though possibly not originally), but these have been replaced (since 1981) by a series of urns. Moulded apron panels below each niche, and continuous plinth moulding.
A highly important part of the overall conception of the late C17 Baroque garden at Powis, the wall forms a visual ''plinth'' for the castle when viewed from the S, and is a highly interesting feature in its own right, exploiting the different colours and textures of its materials to rich decorative effect.
Other nearby listed buildings