This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6976 / 52°41'51"N
Longitude: -3.0666 / 3°3'59"W
OS Eastings: 328019
OS Northings: 311636
OS Grid: SJ280116
Mapcode National: GBR B3.33PJ
Mapcode Global: WH79J.VGX9
Plus Code: 9C4RMWXM+29
Entry Name: Upper Farm Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 24 January 1995
Source ID: 7906
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a platform site on the steep bank climbing to the N side of Moel y Golfa.
Community: Trewern (Tre-wern)
Locality: Garreg Bank
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
C16 and mid C17, timber framed, farmhouse, largely replaced with stone; some modern alterations.
The house and farm of 96 acres belonged to the drover, Edward Pugh [ap Hugh] of Trewern from 1599, and was gradually morgaged to David Corbett from 1616 as a result of a number of adverse legal judgements. The initials are probably those of Thomas and Elianor Corbett, son of Edward, who may have been responsible for the building of the wing.
One storey and attic with irregular slate roof. The main block is of two bays and of lobby entry plan, with cross wing at north end. This is probably of two periods, one of 2 bays, now containing kitchen, and, beyond a stack, a wide bay, partly timber framed, containing the dining room. The chimney to the wing has a brick double-star plan stack. The main entrance is through added C20 shallow gabled porch. Paned C20 timber windows. Shallow glazed conservatory to main hall. One small gabled dormer over former hall bay.
Main living hall originally had a central truss, probably cruck, the upper section of which survives, with arched braced collar, the upper face cusped, and corresponding cusped raking struts to the principals.
Triple purlins. The hall has chamfered double spine beams and timber framed partition to N wing. Moulded timber fire lintel to hall stack. Deep chamfered cross beams to parlour at E end of wing, which has externally exposed heavy timber panelled wall on N side. Initials ETC and date 1658 survive over the internal entrance door to this parlour.
Listed for the special interest of its sub-medieval interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings