This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1377 / 52°8'15"N
Longitude: -3.1898 / 3°11'23"W
OS Eastings: 318666
OS Northings: 249488
OS Grid: SO186494
Mapcode National: GBR YY.7HDJ
Mapcode Global: VH6B3.NJKL
Plus Code: 9C4R4RQ6+33
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 18 September 1960
Last Amended: 9 March 1995
Source ID: 8736
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Elevated site, sub-circular churchyard, reached along by-road running N from Rhosgoch.
Community: Painscastle (Castell-paen)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
C13, restored 1877 by W Chick of Hereford.
Nave, chancel under lower roof, large south porch, west bellcote with pyramid roof. Rubble stone with plinth and buttresses, artificial tile roof; bellcote has similar tile-hung sides. Set into the south east corner of chancel are two stones with crude carvings of male and female figures. C13 paired lancet with head cut from single block in south wall of chancel and further double lancet next porch. Perp cinquefoil single light in north wall of nave, south wall has square-headed Perp window of three lights with ogee heads and hood mould with head stops, south wall of chancel plain square-headed two-light window with moulded mullion. Other lights C19. Porch roof C15, king-post and arch-braced trusses, quatrefoil windbraces. Also in porch stone benches, sepulchral slab with raised cross, chalice and missal, and memorial tablet of 1724 with framed inscription. South door with pointed arch and Perp mouldings. C19 boarded door with elaborate wrought hinges.
Churchyard with numerous chest tombs, three C17 gravestones, one with Latin inscription.
Nave roof C19 arch-braced tie-beam trusses; chancel roof has C15 arch-braced trusses and quatrefoil windbraces. C19 pointed chancel arch, C19 furnishings including Godwin's tiled floor. Original south chancel door blocked in 1877, C19 door in north wall. Chancel has trefoil piscina and, reset from churchyard, stone pillar with incised symbols including large cross with ring and dot devices and smaller crosses in the angles. Possibly pre-Christian with the symbols added later or early Christian dating to C7-C9 (upper portion damaged). Octagonal font. Two bells, one early C13, one mid-C16.
Included at II* because of medieval fabric, notably the fine church roof, and as the shelter to the remarkable Early Christian pillar-stone.
Other nearby listed buildings