History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Black House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Painscastle, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1307 / 52°7'50"N

Longitude: -3.1954 / 3°11'43"W

OS Eastings: 318269

OS Northings: 248712

OS Grid: SO182487

Mapcode National: GBR YY.7VC4

Mapcode Global: VH6B3.KQL0

Plus Code: 9C4R4RJ3+7R

Entry Name: Black House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 March 1995

Last Amended: 9 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1364

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Lies 1.2 kilometres south west of Bryngwyn, reached along by-roads to NW of Rhosgoch.

County: Powys

Community: Painscastle (Castell-paen)

Community: Painscastle

Locality: Bryngwyn

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Rhos-gôch

Exterior

C17, rebuilding of earlier cruck house. One-and-a-half storeys, rubble stone of different phases, slate roof. Ridge stack to right of centre and large projecting rubble stack to south east gable. Central enclosed rubble/slate porch. Random C19/C20 casement windows, C17 door frame with ovolo and ogee mouldings, modern glazed door.

Interior

Former hall and inner room (now one room) at west end, wide entrance passage, large parlour at east end. One blade and tie beam of an original cruck truss survive on the west side of the passage. The tie beam is cut to form a segmental arched door head. Abutting the doorway is a large inserted stack of c.1600. The passage has ogee-moulded beams and stone stairs which rise towards the front wall. A post and panel screen with ovolo mouldings and doorway with moulded frame and cranked head divides off the later C17 parlour. This room has ovolo-moulded beams and window lintel and ogee-moulded fireplace lintel (re-set). On the first floor the central partition truss has exposed square-panel infill framing incorporating a doorway with ornate head. The east end truss has its tie-beam cut to form a Tudor arch over a small fire-place (infilled with later hob grate).

Reasons for Listing

Included primarily for its remarkable interior with well-preserved detailing from the sub-medieval period.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.