This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2747 / 52°16'29"N
Longitude: -3.0086 / 3°0'30"W
OS Eastings: 331282
OS Northings: 264545
OS Grid: SO312645
Mapcode National: GBR B5.YZYY
Mapcode Global: VH772.S3V0
Entry Name: Radnorshire Arms Hotel
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 26 March 1985
Source ID: 8888
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Set forward to street with gardens to left side and rear, small yard to right.
Community: Presteigne (Llanandras)
Built-Up Area: Presteigne
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The Radnorshire Arms is thought to have been occupied as a house by John Bradshawe in 1616 and was first opened as an Inn in 1792.
Original timber-framed building dated 1616 on porch, later alterations; large rear additions possibly of circa 1875 (when alterations were done. 2 storey street front, 3 bays wide with advanced centre gable over open timber porch. Slate roof with triple stone stacks set diagonally over chimney to right of entrance bay, plain bargeboards. Close studding with whitewashed infill, molded bressumer with minimal jetty over ground floor, curved steps to entrance porch with 4-centred arch, timber seats and original studded door under. Modern lean-to extension in matching style to ground floor right. Some original detailing to 3, 4 and 5-light mullioned and transomed windows, casements mostly with diamond leaded lights. Twin slated ranges, garden roof pitch with stone slabs, run to rear to join C19 additions. Garden elevation of front building has close studding to left and a 3-light first floor bow (possibly of 1792) on timber piers to right.
3 storeys plus attics to twin gabled rear additions, black and white treatment to garden and street sides, rubble and roughcast to rear, slate roofs with ridge cresting, bargeboards and grouped Tudor brick stacks. Rear windows mostly sashes with glazing bars, mullioned windows with leaded lights to garden front.
Interior retains two C17 panelled rooms with moulded beams (roll moulded with elaborate stop chamfers to ground floor right). Entrance Hall has a depressed Georgian arch and the upstairs front lounge is late Georgian with a coved ceiling to street and bow to garden. C19 addition has panelled rooms to match originals (dining room incorporates older panelling).
Other nearby listed buildings