This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1286 / 52°7'42"N
Longitude: -4.0268 / 4°1'36"W
OS Eastings: 261355
OS Northings: 249746
OS Grid: SN613497
Mapcode National: GBR DT.85SD
Mapcode Global: VH4GR.5R1L
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 March 1964
Last Amended: 11 August 1997
Source ID: 9759
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 1.2 km NE of Cellan village, on N side of B4343 to Llanfair.
Community: Llanfair Clydogau
Community: Llanfair Clydogau
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Anglican parish church, medieval origins, restored 1862 and with unusual Arts and Crafts decorative scheme of 1908-9 inside by Herbert North of Bangor, all that was achieved of a more extensive restoration.
Rubble stone with slate roof, cement gable copings and W bellcote. Small nave and chancel, with large S porch, nave fabric probably medieval, chancel uncertain, and porch perhaps C17. The fenestration is of 1862 and unusual long narrow paired lancets in simple chamfered bricks. Windowless W end with battered plinth and possibly medieval bellcote. Bellcote has slate saddleback coping, two bell-openings, smaller to left, larger with bell to right. S wall: large stone porch with cement coping and rough stone pointed doorway. Within there are stone benches and a single roof truss that is probably reused medieval, chamfered oak collar truss, curved to form pointed arch over collar. Oak rafters. S door is pointed with stone voussoirs and ledged door. One 2-light window to right. Chancel is lower and has one similar S 2-light, one similar E 2-light. Inset plaque to M. Davies, Velindre, (died 1757), ashlar with arched head and low relief winged face. Chancel N vestry early C20 with similar N 2-light window and W panelled door. Nave N has blocked square-headed window, and at ground level a large 3-step platform with heavy stone blocks and coping stones, purpose unknown. Two similar single-light windows.
Whitewashed plastered walls and pointed chancel arch. Blocked recesses on N wall for rood-stair doors. Square recess low on chancel N wall. Timber lintels over windows except pointed rear arch to E window, perhaps altered 1908-9. Boarded nave and chancel roofs decorated with Arts and Crafts simple patterns in red and green on white, with some blue in more elaborate chancel ceiling. 3-sided nave roof has alternating trails of vine and rose from wall-plate to wall-plate, wall-plate has simple red zig-zag of paired pointed ovals. Between trails are tall stylised lilies on sloping sections, while in flat ceiling there are a few scattered crosses. 5-sided chancel roof has similar wall plate border, similar vine trails but with scattered crowns between. On ceiling is much more elaborate panel, rectangular, butting against E wall, scroll-bordered on 3 sides, with Gothic-lettered Welsh inscription. Main panel has blue ground with intersecting vine trails and circular panel in red on white of Lamb of God in plain diamond border. Also of 1908-9 is the plain oak screen, three bay, simple thick broadly-chamfered posts and beams, with panelling to lower part of each side bay, panelled centre low doors, and shallow swept double curve heads to each upper open bay. On beam a simple oak cross with lozenge ends. Open bays serve also as frontals to pulpit and reading desk. Chancel has two kneelers for altar rails that echo pattern of screen heads. Simple E window of 1908 with coloured border and six shields, Arts and Crafts thickly streaked glass.
Plain pews. By S door a rough lump of conglomerate reset as stoup. Unusual font, said to be medieval, square ashlar bowl with two thick moulded bands, curved-profile with recessed cove below.
Listed as a small parish church of medieval fabric with later detailing and retaining a rare example of Arts and Crafts decorative scheme inside.
Other nearby listed buildings