This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4775 / 51°28'38"N
Longitude: -3.7043 / 3°42'15"W
OS Eastings: 281740
OS Northings: 176766
OS Grid: SS817767
Mapcode National: GBR H7.L0ZG
Mapcode Global: VH5HN.R426
Entry Name: The Old Police Station
Listing Date: 22 February 1989
Last Amended: 17 February 1998
Source ID: 11354
Building Class: Civil
Location: In the town centre on the main shopping street.
Built-Up Area: Porthcawl
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built by John Prichard, Llandaff Diocesan Architect and designer of many public buildings in the area. Comprised Police Station, gaol, Superintendent's house with prisoners' yard to rear. Land conveyed by Mary Brogden, wife of James Brogden major founder and developer of Porthcawl, 1881 (but Buildings of Wales gives a building date of 1877). Remained in use until 1973. Now houses museum and other local organisations.
Tudorbethan style. 2 storey gabled 6 bay front. Of rock faced stone, coursed to left and snecked to right with ashlar dressings; slate roof, terracotta ridge tiles and massive blue brick chimney stacks with octagonal flues, paired to left and 6 grouped to right with weathercoursing. Mullioned sash windows to first floor, mostly two-light, casement windows to ground floor with mullions and transoms, one cross frame, otherwise 3-light, all with relieving arches. Narrow attic openings to gables, paired to right. 3 bay former Police Station to left has central shouldered doorway beside sash window with lintel with original lettering; to left is a single storey bay with high parapet and cornice; 3-light window to front and similar shouldered doorway to side. To right is the former Superintendent's house (now the Porthcawl Museum and Art Society); visually separated from the Police Station by a deeply recessed pointed arched entrance of 2 orders with spur bases; strapwork hinges to boarded door; 3-light windows to both floors of the gabled bay at right end. Cross range to right and lean-to; bonded in rubble wall to front with broad shouldered gated entrance; gables to rear of Police Station; similar chimney stacks to outbuilding in rear yard.
No access to interior as closed for refurbishment (March 1997). Gaol reported to be largely intact with whitewashed brick corridor and 3 cells with small pane windows all with round arched brick vaulted ceilings, boarded and studded doors; exercise yard.
Included as a well preserved civic building by John Prichard in the centre of the town; group value with Public Conveniences adjacent.
Other nearby listed buildings