History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Customs House

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthcawl, Bridgend

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.474 / 51°28'26"N

Longitude: -3.7015 / 3°42'5"W

OS Eastings: 281922

OS Northings: 176381

OS Grid: SS819763

Mapcode National: GBR H7.L7NQ

Mapcode Global: VH5HN.S6JV

Entry Name: The Old Customs House

Listing Date: 17 February 1998

Last Amended: 17 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19358

Building Class: Commercial

Location: At the W end of the Breakwater near the corner of the Harbour and between Jennings Warehouse and the sea wall.

County: Bridgend

Town: Porthcawl

Community: Porthcawl

Community: Porthcawl

Locality: Porthcawl Harbour

Built-Up Area: Porthcawl

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Porthcawl

History

Believed to have been built after the inner dock was constructed in 1867 for levying duties on main imports of iron ore and timber for pit props. This was part of the development of the dock undertaken by the Brogden family who had purchased the Tondu Ironworks from Robert Price in 1853 and were developing coal mining in Ogmore Vale, the products being transported from the Valleys by the Dyffryn Llynfi and Porthcawl Railway for export from the small harbour built for that purpose at Porthcawl. Llynfi and Ogmore Valley Railway Companies jointly obtained an Act of Parliament in 1864 for the improvement of Porthcawl Harbour, authorising construction of a dock at N end of tidal basin, substitution of S entrance for existing E, extension of breakwater by 100 yds (91.4 metres) and erection of inner pier, following which trade grew rapidly. Shown on OS map surveyed 1876.

Exterior

A small rectangular building with a semicircular end built of snecked rockfaced sandstone now heavily weathered with a hipped timber shingle roof. Gabled porch now roofless with a sandstone block lintel. Second opening in main wall adjacent. On curved wall left the two blocked window openings have deep curved sandstone lintels and sills. End right facing Jennings warehouse has 2 small rectangular windows. Wall to rear is of rubble and the quoins at each end of straight section suggest some alteration here.

Interior

Interior vacant.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a structure dating from the second major period of development of Porthcawl dock and for group value with Jennings Warehouse, the Outer Basin, the Breakwater, the Look-out Tower, and the Lighthouse.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.