History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Statue & Plinth to Henry Seymour Berry

A Grade II Listed Building in Town (Y Dref), Merthyr Tydfil

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7472 / 51°44'50"N

Longitude: -3.3779 / 3°22'40"W

OS Eastings: 304967

OS Northings: 206292

OS Grid: SO049062

Mapcode National: GBR HN.151S

Mapcode Global: VH6CY.DBKX

Entry Name: Statue & Plinth to Henry Seymour Berry

Listing Date: 13 January 1988

Last Amended: 13 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11443

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: At centre of semi-circular forecourt in front of Carnegie Library.

County: Merthyr Tydfil

Community: Town (Y Dref)

Community: Town

Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Merthyr Tydfil

History

Erected 1931. Designed by W Goscombe John RA.

Exterior

Standing, black-painted, bronze figure in full robes with cocked hat in crook of left arm; parchment grasped in right hand. Moulded pink granite plinth with inscription: "Henry Seymour Berry, Baron Buckland of Bwlch, Hon. Freeman of the Co. Borough of Merthyr Tydfil. Born 1877 - Died 1928. Erected by Public Subscription".

Reasons for Listing

Part of good group of listed public buildings in town centre.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Carnegie Library
    Set back from street behind a semi-circular pave forecourt with low piers (railings removed); Town Hall on N side.
  • II Memorial Fountain in St David's Chuchyard Wall
    At NW corner of open churchyard to St David’s Church. Cast-iron memorial fountain set in a gabled ashlar wall facing the High Street.
  • II Former County Court
    Large public building forward to street at junction with Castle Street opposite.
  • II* Town Hall
    Prominently sited in the town centre, opposite the junction with Castle Street.
  • II Church Hall at St David's Church
    Prominently sited in an open churchyard on the corner with Church Street, gabled W front to High Street.
  • II St David's Church
    Prominently sited in an open churchyard on the corner with Church Street, gabled W front to High Street.
  • II Pillar Box at NE corner of Town Hall
    On pavement at junction of New Castle Street and High Street.
  • II 115 High Street
    At the south end of High Street set in a short row, on the west side opposite the turning for Church Street and St Davids Church.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.