History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

115 High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Town (Y Dref), Merthyr Tydfil

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7467 / 51°44'48"N

Longitude: -3.3783 / 3°22'41"W

OS Eastings: 304944

OS Northings: 206233

OS Grid: SO049062

Mapcode National: GBR HN.14ZH

Mapcode Global: VH6CY.DCDB

Entry Name: 115 High Street

Listing Date: 31 January 2013

Last Amended: 17 October 2012

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87660

Building Class: Commercial

Location: At the south end of High Street set in a short row, on the west side opposite the turning for Church Street and St Davids Church.

County: Merthyr Tydfil

Community: Town (Y Dref)

Community: Town

Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Merthyr Tydfil

History

Probably built c.1900 as part of the commercial growth of the centre of Merthyr Tydfilaround the turn of the century. Formerly part of (c.1946) a drapers shop with No.116, named William Theophilus.

Exterior

Commercial building in a flamboyant northern renaissance style. 4 storeys, narrow single bay constructed of decorative glazed faience with gabled slate roof set back behind parapet. Metal windows in original openings. Canted oriel to first and second floors, comprising paired central light with single windows to each side. The more ornate first floor windows have transoms and arched upper lights, with decorated spandrels, and enriched mullions; Lozenge-panelled apron. Windows are flanked by full height pilasters, and sills, cornice and transoms form a series of decorative bands, and the oriel is surmounted by a decorative frieze and cornice. Plain upper floor with 2-light transomed window with arched upper lights and frieze. Parapet with decorative panels to side and central Dutch gable with consoles, tympanum and globe finial. Erect lions clasping shields to each side. Modern shop front to ground floor.

Interior

Interior not inspected but may retain plan form and constructional or decorative features which are part of the special interest of the building.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special architectural interest as a good example of a late C19 commercial building displaying exceptional use of materials in a highly distinctive and sophisticated fashion. Also important historically as part of the late C19 development of Merthyr Tydfil.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lloyds Bank
    On corner with Church Street directly opposite St David’s Church.
  • II Memorial Fountain in St David's Chuchyard Wall
    At NW corner of open churchyard to St David’s Church. Cast-iron memorial fountain set in a gabled ashlar wall facing the High Street.
  • II St David's Church
    Prominently sited in an open churchyard on the corner with Church Street, gabled W front to High Street.
  • II Statue & Plinth to Henry Seymour Berry
    At centre of semi-circular forecourt in front of Carnegie Library.
  • II Carnegie Library
    Set back from street behind a semi-circular pave forecourt with low piers (railings removed); Town Hall on N side.
  • II Church Hall at St David's Church
    Prominently sited in an open churchyard on the corner with Church Street, gabled W front to High Street.
  • II Former County Court
    Large public building forward to street at junction with Castle Street opposite.
  • II* Town Hall
    Prominently sited in the town centre, opposite the junction with Castle Street.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.