This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7475 / 51°44'50"N
Longitude: -3.3778 / 3°22'40"W
OS Eastings: 304977
OS Northings: 206316
OS Grid: SO049063
Mapcode National: GBR HN.152S
Mapcode Global: VH6CY.DBNR
Entry Name: Former County Court
Listing Date: 22 August 1975
Last Amended: 13 January 1988
Source ID: 11445
Building Class: Civil
Location: Large public building forward to street at junction with Castle Street opposite.
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Community: Town (Y Dref)
Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated May 1896 (foundation stone). E A Johnson MSA, architect of Abergavenny and Merthyr. Harry Gibbon, builder. Jacobethan style.
Symmetrical entrance front of two storeys, attics and basement; red brick facings with terracotta dressings, rusticated stone basement. Steep slate roof with painted clock turret (cupola removed).
7-bay facade with emphasised centre and ends under shaped pediments linked by arched balustrades. Pilasters rise through balustrades, moulded string-course, architraves, cartouche panels etc. Splayed bays to outer ends (arched heads to attics behind); centre doorcase linked vertically to first-floor Shaw-style window with cantilevered balcony, flanking pedestals on elongated brackets topped with heraldic lions. Cross windows, moulded arched openings to centre ground-floor with foliage capitals to angled responds. Similar treatment to main entrance with dated spandrels and keyblock, double ironwork gates. Curved balustrades to steps up, pedestals support ironwork lamp-brackets; good area railings linked to outer pedestals with lamp brackets as before.
Similar detailing to long right-hand elevation with corbelled bay window over arched doorway, bowed turret with pyramidal roof at angle of front. Left-hand elevation to New Castle Street steps uphill with similar detailing and splays forward at County Court entrance (dated 1896); tall gable-end with curved angle to rear on Tramroad Side North.
Interior retains fine tiled entrance and staircase halls with cartouche panels, volute capitals to piers etc. Imperial staircase with ironwork railings incorporating cartouches, lamp pedestals to base. Swagged friezes, arched doorcases to corridor openings etc.
Part of good group of listed public buildings in town centre.
Other nearby listed buildings