History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Presbytery at St Joseph's R.C.Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle (Castell), Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6323 / 51°37'56"N

Longitude: -3.9436 / 3°56'37"W

OS Eastings: 265577

OS Northings: 194403

OS Grid: SS655944

Mapcode National: GBR WRY.FL

Mapcode Global: VH4K9.L7JH

Entry Name: Presbytery at St Joseph's R.C.Church

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Last Amended: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11572

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Attached by cloister/corridor to E of St Joseph’s Church.

County: Swansea

Community: Castle (Castell)

Community: Castle

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Swansea

History

1886-8. Designed by Pugin and Pugin, architects of London, as part of original scheme.

Exterior

2 storey asymmetrical building, forward to right. Rubble facings, Bath stone dressings, quoins, hipped slate roof with end stacks. 2 and 3 light mullioned windows, arched head to ground floor left. 2 storey porch in angle. Attached range with linking corridor runs left to join church, timber work bargeboards, second doorway etc. Walled forecourt.

Reasons for Listing

Group value.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II R C Church of St Joseph
    Tall church building overlooking valley with St John’s Church, Hafod, opposite, long flank to street.
  • II Hafod Bridge
    Carries the main Neath Road over Cwm Road.
  • II Church of St John the Baptist
    Set in a railed churchyard with twin E gables facing down Graham Street; W front overlooking valley with St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church opposite.
  • II Siloam Independent Chapel
    Above the road with terraced forecourt and steps leading up.
  • II* Bethesda Baptist Church
    Set below road level in a railed burial ground on the corner with Prince of Wales Road.
  • II Palace Theatre
    Occupying a triangular site bounded by High Street, Bethesda Street and Prince of Wales Road.
  • II Former Vivian locomotive shed
    Located on the west bank of the river Tawe, opposite the White Rock Industrial Archaeology Park.
  • II St. Matthew's Church
    Gable end forward to street with raised churchyard flanking sides and rear. One the site of the medieval chapel of St John the Baptist, rebuilt 1823-4 to designed by Wm Jernegan.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.