This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6377 / 51°38'15"N
Longitude: -3.9352 / 3°56'6"W
OS Eastings: 266176
OS Northings: 194982
OS Grid: SS661949
Mapcode National: GBR WT8.D1
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.Q3ZD
Plus Code: 9C3RJ3Q7+3W
Entry Name: Vivian engine house
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Last Amended: 1 March 1996
Source ID: 11695
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located near the west bank of the River Tawe in the southern part of the former Hafod and Morfa copperworks site.
Community: Landore (Glandŵr)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Hafod Copperworks was established in 1810 by John Vivian and continued to be owned by the Vivian family until 1924 when it amalgamated with the adjacent Morfa Coppperworks. It was subsequently operated by Yorkshire Imperial Metals until it closed in 1980. The Vivian engine house was built 1860-2 and housed a steam engine to power adjacent copper rolling mills, though it is possible that part of the building is early nineteenth-century. It was later enlarged substantially, probably c.1900.
A two-storey gabled structure, formerly with a slate roof. It is constructed partially in dressed sandstone, partially in snecked rubble, and partially in grey bricks (made at the copperworks). The oldest part of the building appears to be in the south corner, where there is much dressed stone. The building has been widened to the north and raised in height using grey brick; the raised band being given red brick oculi and eaves cornice. The west gable has a large doorway, over which is an ornate carved stone tablet with scrolls and flowers, reading 'Commenced August 1860; completed February 1862; V & S'. The north side has a chamfered corner and four segmentally arched windows to the main floor, with wooden frames. The east end has a tall opening for the former rope drive from the engine, and an oculus high in the gable. The south side has openings irregularly placed on three levels.
There is a main floor, open to the metal roof trusses, and a service basement below. The upper floor has a cill for a travelling crane.
Listed for its rarity as a copper works engine house and for group value with the listed buildings of the former Hafod and Morfa copperworks.
Other nearby listed buildings