History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary wall of former Hafod Copperworks canal docks

A Grade II Listed Building in Landore, Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6373 / 51°38'14"N

Longitude: -3.9358 / 3°56'9"W

OS Eastings: 266130

OS Northings: 194940

OS Grid: SS661949

Mapcode National: GBR WT4.XF

Mapcode Global: VH4K9.Q3MP

Entry Name: Boundary wall of former Hafod Copperworks canal docks

Listing Date: 29 February 1996

Last Amended: 29 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16881

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located on the east bank of the former Swansea Canal, east of the car park of Landore Social Club.

County: Swansea

Town: Swansea

Community: Landore (Gland┼Ár)

Community: Landore

Locality: Hafod

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Landore

History

Hafod Copperworks was established in 1810 by John Vivian and continued to be owned by the Vivian family until 1924 when it amalgamated with the adjacent Morfa Copperworks. It was operated by Yorkshire Imperial Metals until it closed in 1980. The Swansea Canal, built 1794-8, was a principal transport artery for the works, through which coal was brought for the furnaces. A series of docks were built into the works from the canal for the unloading of boats. The boundary wall was probably built along the canal towpath soon after the works was established, with large openings for the passage of boats. Low timber bridges formerly carried the towpath across the dock entrances.

Exterior

A high wall of copper slag, sandstone and brick, some 80m in length. The adjacent canal has been filled in. The lower parts of the wall are almost entirely of copper slag, either in carefully bedded rough nodules or in moulded blocks. A row of square slag copings seem to have been placed on top of this, but the wall was subsequently raised in stone and slag and topped with crenellations of oblong slag blocks interspersed with spade-shaped slag copings laid sideways. The wall was again raised in brick and stone, probably in the late nineteenth century. Two wide blocked archways can be seen supporting the wall where the canal dock entrances passed through.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of slag wall, for its relation to former canal docks, and for group value with the listed buildings of the Hafod and Morfa works.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.