History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forecourt Walls & AttachedTerrace Walls to E & S sides of Singleton Abbey

A Grade II Listed Building in Sketty, Swansea

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6105 / 51°36'37"N

Longitude: -3.976 / 3°58'33"W

OS Eastings: 263271

OS Northings: 192036

OS Grid: SS632920

Mapcode National: GBR WLX.ZL

Mapcode Global: VH4K9.1SD7

Plus Code: 9C3RJ26F+6J

Entry Name: Forecourt Walls & AttachedTerrace Walls to E & S sides of Singleton Abbey

Listing Date: 25 February 1993

Last Amended: 15 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11758

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Singleton Abbey is set within parkland now occupied by University.

County: Swansea

Community: Sketty (Sgeti)

Community: Sketty

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Swansea

History

Singleton Abbey was the result of a complete Tudor remodelling and enlargement mostly between 1823 and 1837. It was carried out to the designs of the London architect P F Robinson (1776-1858) for John Henry Vivian; the Vivian family owned the Hafod Works and dominated the Swansea copper industry throughout C19.
The grounds were also laid out by the Vivians and the forecourt and terrace walls were all part of Robinson’s scheme and are shown largely complete in his drawings of 1837. Work began in 1823 on removing the stable-yard to the former house (Marino) and creating sweeping lawns with open views. Then a broad, double terrace was built complete with lions and medievalist ornamentatio

Exterior

Beginning at the point where the drive turns to approach the forecourt between a pair of stout octagonal and cement rendered piers surmounted by lions. Attached are approximately 1.2m high walls that flank the drive as far as a further pair of octagonal piers, this time with swept up caps and crocketed finial. Beyond this the walls curve outwards in quadrant manner to form the forecourt to Singleton Abbey, ending with Gothic ‘fonts’ on octagonal piers; to S this adjoins the terrace wall. The double terrace, with coursed rubble walls, includes that in front of the S front and an ornamental walk midway down the lawns; steps down at ends and main broad flight of steps to centre. The parapet is punctuated at regular intervals and to an almost symmetrical pattern by various octagonal fonts, some with ballflower ornament, giving additional medieval or Gothic character to the mansion. The grand steps are flanked at the top by ‘rampant’ dogs and close by is a sundial on ocatagonal pedestal and stepped base. The terrace steps back towards W end and then at far end turns uphill towards steps down to modern University buildings. This part of the terrace retains two substantial stone fountains with quatrefoil-panelled octagonal basins, one with grotto-like figures and the other with dolphins. Blocked up store beneath the terrace to E.

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value with Singleton Abbey as integral to the character of this former country house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lamp to Centre of Entrance Forecourt at Singleton Abbey
    Singleton Abbey is set within parkland now occupied by the University. This lamp is in front of the main entrance.
  • II Singleton Abbey
    Reached off the main road to The Mumbles; set towards the present NE end of Singleton Park amongst modern University buildings. Terrace to S.
  • II Library (original block)
    On the SE side of the mall which runs between Fulton House and Singleton Abbey, immediately SW of, and below the Abbey. Joined at the SW to the later 1960s library tower.
  • II Brynmill Lodge at Singleton Park
    Facing SE near junction with Mumbles Road; at SE corner of Singleton Park.
  • II Fulton House
    On rising ground opposite main entrance of university campus; facing Fulton Lawn
  • II Wallace Building
    Towards the SE of the campus, on the SE side of the main avenue, its long elevation and entrance facing a roadway aligned NE-SW
  • II Estate Wall of Singleton Park
    Wall runs approximately 1km from rear of Brynmill Lodge to Gower Road.
  • II Cenotaph including surrounding walls
    On elevated site overlooking Swansea Bay on Esplanade, opposite recreation ground.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.