History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruins of Old Church of a St Brynach

A Grade II Listed Building in Dinas Cross, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0235 / 52°1'24"N

Longitude: -4.8947 / 4°53'40"W

OS Eastings: 201493

OS Northings: 240078

OS Grid: SN014400

Mapcode National: GBR CP.GLL3

Mapcode Global: VH1QH.3DQM

Entry Name: Ruins of Old Church of a St Brynach

Listing Date: 16 January 1952

Last Amended: 17 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11977

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated overlooking bay on SE side of Dinas Island.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Dinas Cross (Dinas)

Community: Dinas Cross

Locality: Cwm-Yr-Eglwys

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Dinas

History

The medieval church of St Brynach was said to have replaced one at Brynhellan. It had nave, chancel, S transept and W bellcote according to mid C19 engraving: the surviving detail looks C15. It was severely damaged by storms in 1851 and destroyed in the great storm of 25 October 1859, leaving only the W gable. It was not rebuilt, but replaced by the present church of St Brynach at Brynhenllan, 1860-1 by R K Penson.

Exterior

Rubble stone low W wall and bellcote. Low Tudor-arched doorway with rough chamfered jambs and head in similar grey stone to C15 barn at Pentre Ifan, Nevern. Low pitched gable, coped in slates. Bellcote has 2 Tudor-arched chamfered openings in similar stone and slates to gable coping. Inner door head and rough stone voussoirs to cambered head.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Island Farmhouse
    Situated on the promontory called Dinas Island, approached by farm drive from Pwllgwaelod.
  • II Cwm Dewi Fawr
    Situated down track of some 300 m E of Pwllgwaelod Bay, at foot of cwm from Brynhenllan.
  • II Cwm Dewi Fach
    Situated to left of Cwm Dewi Fawr at head of cwm some 400 m E of Pwllgwaelod cove.
  • II* Brynhenllan Chapel
    Situate in Brynhenllan village, at the top of the slope to Pwllgwaelod.
  • II Brynhenllan Cottage
    Situated in centre of village, facing E, at end of short row.
  • II Hafod Llwyd
    Situated just SW of Brynhenllan crossroads, on N side of lane to Bwlchmawr.
  • II Llwynhendy
    Situated just SW of Brynhenllan crossroads, on N side of lane to Bwlchmawr.
  • II Tanybryn
    Situated on E side of lane from Dinas Cross to Cwym-yr-Eglwys, some 0.5km N of Dinas Cross.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.